History of Laycocks

A message for Cynthia and Dennis Travis in Canada,Joe Winter says Up The Blades and how are you both?

A message for Cynthia and Dennis Travis in Canada,Joe Winter says Up The Blades and how are you both?

We are both Ok thanks. Dennis had a triple bi-pass 7 years ago and it was a huge success, great medical care here. We both miss going to the Lane but we get all the televised games live, we usually watch one and record one or two others. We celebrated our 64th. wedding anniversary last October, where to all the years go ? ? ?.

Dennis was please to get your message and sends his best wishes.

This year [2013] reunion for any ex employees of Laycock Engineering will be held at Laycocks Sports Club, Archer Road on Thursday October 24th,7.30 onwards. please try and make it:

Hi to all on this thread

I have only just started to read all this with interest. Does anyone recognise the Name Pat Danaher who worked in the overdrive section i think.

There are some names in the threads that he mentioned.

He is my Dad and has now passed away but I would love to hear more about his work.

I do remember as a child the trip to Manor Operatic pantomimes which were then at the montgomery theatre:)

Hi, my husband Michael Myers did his apprenticeship at Laycocks during the '50s until about '62. He lived in Southey Green and is now 74 living in Stoke on Trent. I don't know much about his time at Laycocks but will ask. Unfortunately he is a little poorly at present.

Anyone remember him, please get in touch

Hi to all on this thread

I have only just started to read all this with interest. Does anyone recognise the Name Pat Danaher who worked in the overdrive section i think.

He is my Dad and has now passed away but I would love to hear more about his work.

I do remember as a child the trip to Manor Operatic pantomimes which were then at the montgomery theatre:)

Hi Bow Blade,

I knew Pat Danaher. I think he finished his stint at Laycocks in the stores in Camping Lane

Edited by Guest

Dont forget, all you former employees of Laycock Engineering, this years (2013)reunion is on Thursday 24th October 7.30 onwards at Laycocks Sports Club Archer Road, If interested let Peter know on 0114 2482632

Hi to all on this thread

I remember Pat, he was a really good mate of mine in the late 1970s when he was working in the stores at Archer Road, and IIRC he was a Shop Steward for that department. Last time I saw him would have been about 1988 and he had just moved onto Reney Avenue at Greenhill. Top bloke was Pat and I'm sad to learn of his passing. My condolences to his family. :sad:

Guylees, or Jacobs Manufacturing as it was called in more recent times was/is at the bottom of Troutbeck Road (the slope off Abbeydale Rd) near the big Tesco, Minimo. The remains of the factory are still there, derelict and 'graffitied', as depicted in some photos I found on Flickr or a similar site. If I find the link I will post it :thumbsup:

Originally Guylees was at the end of Archer Road next to the Window Shop on the corner. When the Millhouses engine sheds closed the factory& Offices moved into the engine sheds. The vacated Archer Road buildings were put up for sale. At some time Jacobs Chucks of Clemson Sth Carolina USA bought Guylees and changed the name. When Black & Decker moved their handyman drill production to Suzhou, China Jacobs moved their handyman style chuck production there as well.

I worked at Laycocks 1966 to the big strike of 1972. Later on when I worked as a machine service engineer. I even visited Jacobs in the USA.

---------- Post added 27-12-2013 at 17:49 ----------

Hi everyone

I worked at Laycocks from late 60's to about 1972.

I worked in the large office at the bottom of the drive and through despatch.

John ?? was in charge and someone called Robin???

Bill Fairbrither was in there and a lovely man called Ted. There were lots more but cannot remember their names.

We did all the paper-work that went in the stillages with the clutches.

I loved it at Laycock's. Lovely happy days.

I was also one of the g0-go dancers at the Sports club on a Thursday night with my friend Anna. Her Dad, Walter Allsop, worked on inspection.

Later on I worked in the office that was facing the bottom of the drive with Barbara Fish and Sue ???.

I remember that everyone knew each other and the Sports Club was fantastic.

I remember George Goode had an office on the shop floor near to wher you got hot water for tea.He was a lovely man.

There was a girl called Jennifer Hutchinson, her Dad worked in export. We went on Day release together, she was a real laugh and we had lots of happy times together.

I later married Chris Pennington who was a charge-hand. All our friends worked there, Geoff Dungworth, Ian Barrow.

Would love to hear from any-one who remembers these lovely times.

Who could forget your performances in the Sports Club. Does Chris still have a flash car? I used to work with his mate Paul Sharman. Remember the Chinese lad in the computer room? My wife and I go on holiday with him and his wife to this day. We've even been to China Twice

Originally Guylees was at the end of Archer Road next to the Window Shop on the corner. When the Millhouses engine sheds closed the factory& Offices moved into the engine sheds. The vacated Archer Road buildings were put up for sale. At some time Jacobs Chucks of Clemson Sth Carolina USA bought Guylees and changed the name. When Black & Decker moved their handyman drill production to Suzhou, China Jacobs moved their handyman style chuck production there as well.

I worked at Laycocks 1966 to the big strike of 1972. Later on when I worked as a machine service engineer. I even visited Jacobs in the USA.

I was at Laycock's 1977 -1988 and worked at Jacob's manufacturing from 1989 - 2002 (When the Sheffield site closed). Jacobs Manufacturing was under the ownership of the Danaher Corporation back then and Danaher moved production to it's Suzhou factory in China which was built in the mid 90s.

I was at Laycock's 1977 -1988 and worked at Jacob's manufacturing from 1989 - 2002 (When the Sheffield site closed). Jacobs Manufacturing was under the ownership of the Danaher Corporation back then and Danaher moved production to it's Suzhou factory in China which was built in the mid 90s.

Both Jacobs and Black & Decker opened their Suzhou factories at the same time. I know that loads of rejects originally were sent to B&D at Spennymoor for correction. Then over time the rejects declined until Jacobs Sheffield closed and B&D only make Dewalt now at Spennymoor. When I went to Clemson it was the head factory of Jacobs their other factories were Sheffield, Suzhou and 1 in Japan. I had the Visa to go to Suzhou but my company then decided to send someone else to keep me on a bigger job in Birmingham.

My speciality was Induction Hardening after I left Laycocks. Remember Chris Morris who used to work for me then left my company to work at Jacobs?