History of Laycocks

Surprised Stan wasn't on that picture, must have been talking to you Kev....:hihi:

Charlie took over after Maurice retired..

Edited by grinder

Surprised Stan wasn't on that picture, must have been talking to you Kev....:hihi:

I started in 1977 so only a baby compared to some.

Stan retired and then passed away about 3 days after doing so, I will always remember him.

Just before I went into the CG, Harry Fields worked till he was 70 had his presentation on the Friday and died on the Sunday...

hiya grinder

i had a look at your photograph was it 1963 , i started in 64, there were 5 in the photo i only remember 2 maybe 3 was one called george ? there was harold broadhurst and jack, later there was charlie brookfield and bert crookes.

p.s i worked at my previous firm with charlie brookfields brother

he was i remember a jack of all trades. and you joined me in your w.m club woodseats wmc. and was chatting to barrie webster the other week in morrisons m/h and he said he'd had a word with you.

Edited by willybite

Hi Willybite.

I started 7Th Oct 1957 and was made redundant Oct 8Th 1992 ..

Worked weeks about for 99.9% of that time, so half of it is just a haze..:huh:...:hihi:

Edited by grinder

My dad, Dave Kelsey, was a maintenance electrician & used to work at the Little London site from the late 60's - early 90's when he was made redundant. One of his stories that springs to mind is of a massive kiwi bloke who got his hand caught under a hydraulic hammer & flattened clean off! Apparently he went to the nurse & said something like, 'hey luv, have you got a plaster for this?' She fainted on the spot!

Think he still goes to the company reunions, but not really sure who he's still in touch with. It's such a shame that so much of this heritage is gone - either levelled or redeveloped. Doesn't seem right somehow that we now have a Sainsbury where so many people laboured in industry

Laycocks reunion will be held at Laycocks Sports Club, Archer Road on Thursday the 20th of October 2011, 7.30 onwards, ALL ex employees are very welcome, if interested, please ring Joe Winter on 0114 2745241

Just before I went into the CG, Harry Fields worked till he was 70 had his presentation on the Friday and died on the Sunday...

I gave him a ride home on Friday night. We also chipped in for a bouquet of flowers for his wife.

He died in his allotment whilst gardening.

We were all gobsmacked when Maurice gave us the news on Monday morning.

Sad time.

hi im new on ere and i just come across this thread and remembered my dad worked there DAVID BRATTON i just wondered any body new him he worked on little london rd not sure what department so my girlfriends dad worked there IAN CLARKE whocould anyone shed any light what happened to him cause he died when she was just 4 months old and would like to know what he was like.any replies would be gratefull cheerz.

Dont forget 2011 Laycocks reunion Laycocks Sports Club Archer rd 20th october open to everyone who ever worked there.

Dont forget 2011 Laycocks reunion Laycocks Sports Club Archer rd 20th october open to everyone who ever worked there.

Is there still a bus that goes past there ?

where was everybody for the laycock reunion at laycocks sports club last thursday only about fifty turned up