Facing Magistrates for someone else's crime

LornaF

For reference:

According to the DVLA the car is currently taxed.

According to MID the car is currently insured. It is a VAUXHALL SIGNUM ELITE CDTI (120).

For £4.00 you will be able to find out the insurance details at the time of the incident, you could then forward all documentation to the insurers and have them sort it.

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

jb

Thanks for this, I'll ask her to check it out. The frustrating thing is the powers that be have the information they just want the easy option by blaming someone rather than looking into their own records.

What's troubling me is how your sister's name and address has appeared on court records if she has no connection to the car and a warrant officer turned up at her new property with a summons for an unpaid court fine in her name?

A relative once received a summons from the County Court in Wigan via the Sheffield courts over outstanding debts - similar first name, same surname... but the summons wanted a "Mrs" and the middle name was "Ann" - my relative was a "Miss" and her middle name was "Anne".

Turns out they had both worked for the Co-op, one here in Sheffield and the other obviously across the way. The Co-op HR department had passed on my relative's details when the debt collectors had contacted them chasing the bad debtor.

It did take a few phone calls to both the Court Managers and Solicitors (and eventually a strongly worded letter sent recorded post threatening them all with the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Financial Ombudsman for the fact that they were sending confidential financial documents out willy-nilly and harassing the wrong person), but it did eventually get sorted... no apology mind.

My advice would be to ring the general enquiries line at the Mags to see what they advise as a course of action... stress that you do not wish to see the court's time wasted by allowing this mistake to come in front of the bench. See what they say.

The number is 0114 252 1871

What's troubling me is how your sister's name and address has appeared on court records if she has no connection to the car and a warrant officer turned up at her new property with a summons for an unpaid court fine in her name?

See my post #8 BF...

See my post #8 BF...

I agree truman, if she's received a court fine and they've pursued this to a new address then either we haven't heard all the detail or the vehicle's been stopped and the driver given her details, in which case the registered keeper wouldn't be relevant for a driving (rather than vehicle) offence.

I agree truman, if she's received a court fine and they've pursued this to a new address then either we haven't heard all the detail or the vehicle's been stopped and the driver given her details, in which case the registered keeper wouldn't be relevant for a driving (rather than vehicle) offence.

Strange isn't it...? Ah well, I suppose it'll all come to light eventually...

She changed her license when she moved.

Front of the licence, there will be a field marked 4a with a date. This is the date that the piece of plastic was produced. Presumably with a date from sometime in 2010 when she moved.

That proves that she told DVLA on that date that she was moving to the address on the licence and hence whatever happend in 2012 is nothing to d with her.

A relative once received a summons from the County Court in Wigan via the Sheffield courts over outstanding debts - similar first name, same surname... but the summons wanted a "Mrs" and the middle name was "Ann" - my relative was a "Miss" and her middle name was "Anne".

Turns out they had both worked for the Co-op, one here in Sheffield and the other obviously across the way. The Co-op HR department had passed on my relative's details when the debt collectors had contacted them chasing the bad debtor.

The HR debt should have been sued for breach of data protection, as a debt collector has no legal right to ask or expect this kind of information from an employer or anyone.