Splenectomy ( spleen removal )

have you or anyone you know had a splenectomy ? if so how long was your recovery period ? how long was you in hospital for and was you able to return to work ? thanks.

I know a few people who have had a splenectomy a result of traumatic abdominal damage. All of them are now hale and hearty without their spleen but unfortunately I can't give you an answer on the recovery period and the like because for most of them the recovery was also from broken bones, torn ligaments and damaged organs so the recovery from the splenectomy itself was small compared with the broken pelvis or ruptured bowel.

Sorry I'm not a lot of use on this one.

As Medusa says... a freind of mine had a splenectomy after falling off his mountain bike. As the doc said he didn't really know what the average recovery is - it's just usually less than the recovery period from the associated trauma that necessitated the splenectomy.

My mate suffered three broken ribs, loss of teeth, fracture to cheekcbone and eyesocket, fractured humerus, and associated soft tissue damage. He was out in five days, and rested up at home for a good six weeks with the ribs before he was feeling anything like normal. He was back to work in a couple of weeks I guess (office job). The longest term injury was a sprained ankle. The splenectomy didn't bother him at all.