Costa Coffee coming to Hillsborough?

hahaha, that's a good shout!

i'm not sure a brothel would help the area Mogwai

With the recent closure of more upmarket cafes like Truly Scrumptious, I'd say it's still part of a downward trajectory.

Better than another chavy frozen food place or a cash for gold though I guess.

Still a long way to go till we get a real ale pub and a middle-class supermarket/deli.

Doesn't Wetherspoons do real ale

Hopefully before too long we can have a few more of the independent shops and delis like there are in Crookes but until then I would much prefer a Costa to the run down, empty units that are making Hillsborough look a mess. Also a decent pub wouldn't go amiss but not sure we'll get that anytime soon and yes, I'm sure wetherspoons does do real ale but it's not really any more inviting than the other pubs we've got already!

Doesn't Wetherspoons do real ale

That's a bit like buying caviar from Lidl. Technically it is, but...

Somewhere like The Blake, or a Thornbridge, would be great.

That, an M&S and a deli like Urban Pantry, and Hillsborough would become a decent centre again.

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

I just noticed there's a new Costa in Meersbrook. It's opened opposite two indie tea rooms / cafes.

Who on earth thought that was a good idea?

there are already plenty of cafe/coffee shops in and around hillsborough - but need isn't the driver of commercial decisions by organisations such as costa

it is a prime site with lots of passing trade

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 09:24 ----------

i'm not sure i understand that point - the quality of the product is what matters - not where you buy it from

i take the point that wetherspoons in hillsborough may not appeal to you as a pub, but for me it just depends when you go

there are already plenty of cafe/coffee shops in and around hillsborough - but need isn't the driver of commercial decisions by organisations such as costa

it is a prime site with lots of passing trade

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 09:24 ----------

i'm not sure i understand that point - the quality of the product is what matters - not where you buy it from

i take the point that wetherspoons in hillsborough may not appeal to you as a pub, but for me it just depends when you go

I've always found Wetherspoons' beer pretty nasty. The reason they sell it cheap is because they buy up stock that is very nearly out-of-date and ship it out quick - that's their whole business model.

They aren't the sort of organisation that has a trained cellarman putting care into things like daily cleaning pipes, keeping the temperature at 53/54°F and ensuring there's a day delay been tapping a barrel and service etc.

I just noticed there's a new Costa in Meersbrook. It's opened opposite two indie tea rooms / cafes.

Costa probably did.

I think hillsborough could do with a children's clothes shop there's only peacocks in Morrison. There's already loads of cafes in hillsborough buttercup been my favourite

The empty café and the building next door (corner of Rudyard Rd) look a real mess - anything would be an improvement! It may do a decent trade with commuters - when I was working I regularly popped into Jalucy for a take out coffee before I caught the tram. I thought the cafe went downhill once it became Gracie's and stopped using it.

I'd be surprised if Costa could compete pricewise with the several already established coffee shops in Hillsborough.

Really? I think the existing coffee shops are pretty expensive...

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 11:15 ----------

I think we should run one of those Totnes style campaigns to keep them out:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/oct/25/costa-coffee-totnes-outlet-protests

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19146445

I hate these generic middlebrow establishments with their poor quality coffee.

Instead of trying to impose your opinion on everyone else, couldn't you just, well, not use the new Costa?

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 11:18 ----------

So it's an image thing then, a bit of pub snobbery?

Dan is right - Wetherspoons is NOT a real ale pub. It sells cold, same tasting ales that are about to go out of date. Plus it's full of riffraff

We need a Blake, a Hillsborough Hotel but bang in the middle of Hillsborough. It would make an absolute killing.

The Riverside pub has potential (nice ales/fish on the wall) but the pub isnt open predictably enough

The Costa management perhaps?

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 11:28 ----------

I've always found Wetherspoons' beer pretty nasty. The reason they sell it cheap is because they buy up stock that is very nearly out-of-date and ship it out quick - that's their whole business model.

They aren't the sort of organisation that has a trained cellarman putting care into things like daily cleaning pipes, keeping the temperature at 53/54°F and ensuring there's a day delay been tapping a barrel and service etc.

Which is a very different argument to the analogy with a stack it high supermarket.