Shall I get my Saab touched up or go the whole way?

The Saab 93 shared the floorpan of the Vectra, that's all. Even so, it was modified to Saab's exacting standards.

Saabs are great cars, I drove Saab convertibles for 15 years.

If looked after, a Saab will outlive the owner :cool:

When GM gave Saab a new model to launch, the Saab engineers went about

changing everything to make it good enough to wear the badge. That was probably their downfall, such were the delays getting the car ready for launch

the company went under.

The world has lost a great car maker.

Fab post! Very well put :)

I had a 1998 Saab 9-5, which was one of the GM models, so if yours is only 11 years old, it must be a GM one surely?

Yes you're right

The 1998-2002 Saab 9-3 was based on a revised Saab 9000 platform, with a claimed 1100 changes made.

The Saab 9000 was build on the Vectra platform, so in essence the 9-3 is a tweaked Vectra platform.

The later 2002-2012 Saab 9-3 used all of the 'Epsilom' platform, it was pretty much a Vectra in a frock and it showed.

I'm pretty sure the story is same for the 9-5.

Yes you're right

The 1998-2002 Saab 9-3 was based on a revised Saab 9000 platform, with a claimed 1100 changes made.

The Saab 9000 was build on the Vectra platform, so in essence the 9-3 is a tweaked Vectra platform.

The later 2002-2012 Saab 9-3 used all of the 'Epsilom' platform, it was pretty much a Vectra in a frock and it showed.

I'm pretty sure the story is same for the 9-5.

Youd be wrong on that ;)

Throw as many facts and hard evidence at me you like. You're still wrong ;)

I've worked on a few of them they certainly look the same as a Vectra..help me out am I missing something when I order parts and they cross reference to GM parts..even the plastic engine covers are the same just with Saab stamped on them...I know for sure the turbo induction pipe from a Vectra diesel fits straight on to a Saab as I have used one on it before..

Youd be wrong on that ;)

Actually I'm not.

The 1998-2009 Saab 9-5 is built upon the GM2900 platform, this is the same platform used in the Mk3 Cavalier, the Vectra and Calibra.

The 2010-2012 Saab 9-5 used the same platform as the Vauxhall Insignia.

Either way you cut it both cars are build on GM designs.

The Saab 93 shared the floorpan of the Vectra, that's all. Even so, it was modified to Saab's exacting standards.

Yea it was so well engineered the 9-3 has a common problem of splitting it's firewall.

Great design/build quality there :P

Edited by geared

Actually I'm not.

The 1998-2009 Saab 9-5 is built upon the GM2900 platform, this is the same platform used in the Mk3 Cavalier, the Vectra and Calibra.

The 2010-2012 Saab 9-5 used the same platform as the Vauxhall Insignia.

Either way you cut it both cars are build on GM designs.

Yea it was so well engineered the 9-3 has a common problem of splitting it's firewall.

Great design/build quality there :P

Ahhh, thats 9-3s for you :rolleyes: