Is Sheffield Council about to sell off bits of Graves Park YET AGAIN?

It is listed though it's a grade two although I've no idea whether that's the entire building inside and out or just part of it.. So if it was going to be used by the public and possibly vulnerable public then to get it to a required standard may not be possible or could cost far too much to make it worthwhile.

Who said anything about it being used by the public or vulnerable public?

The people who work for the charity and the people who find benefit by being involved with the charity are members of the public. If some of the users are disabled then the building may have to be adapted for them. Without knowing the range of disabilities it's impossible for me to say what may be required or needed.

The people who work for the charity and the people who find benefit by being involved with the charity are members of the public. If some of the users are disabled then the building may have to be adapted for them. Without knowing the range of disabilities it's impossible for me to say what may be required or needed.

Well as one of the charities involved grows plants and the other makes wooden furniture I think it likely that those being trained would manage quite well in the facilities they currently have. Then there's Friends of Graves Park who are a charity that look after the interests of park users and raise huge amounts of funds for the park and projects within it.

A grade 2 listed cottage would have made a dandy admin centre for all 3 charities regardless of your inability to see the wood for the trees. Perhaps you should let the folk involved in the various charities involved worry about how their needs might be met.

Edited by barpen

I assume as the building has been standing empty for several years that the charities that work in the park either didn't want the place or realised it was going to prove to costly.. I wasn't aware of the charity that makes wooden furniture and the like being based in the park as I've never been aware of wood working machinery. So what disabilities are represented that people who make use of the two charities have

I assume as the building has been standing empty for several years that the charities that work in the park either didn't want the place or realised it was going to prove to costly.. I wasn't aware of the charity that makes wooden furniture and the like being based in the park as I've never been aware of wood working machinery. So what disabilities are represented that people who make use of the two charities have

Why would you assume anything as you appear totally unaware of what charities operate from the park or even what building folks are discussing.

Why would you assume anything as you appear totally unaware of what charities operate from the park or even what building folks are discussing.

I have read the entire thread and any links provided so have discovered things that i didn't know, I'd like to bet I'm not the only person who has never heard of the charities mentioned and I've still got no idea were the garden furniture charity is located in the park. It is slightly odd though that two charities don't seem to have any visual adverts anywhere in the vicinity. Some-one said that Cobnar cottage would of made a good place to site such charities and so it wouldn't be a wild leap to assume that the charities knew about the empty building and if they had wanted to use it they would of asked.

I admit i ccouldn't picture Cobnar cottage and so needed to ask which building it was but then I went up to the park and so located it exactly and so could then decide that the claims that if it were sold it would also take part of the park proper is so much nonsense as it is seperated from the park by a stone wall.

I've come across the charity making outdoor furniture at norton farmers market, which is on fairly soon I think. I recall the charity were based in the building off the park entrance at the top of cobnar/derbyshire lane.

I know of the other charity from living in the area for years, and also collecting manure from there in the past.

Maybe the two charities don't advertise their location to save valuable tools/equipment from going missing .... Just a thought.

Edited by Jon26
Added extra paragraph.

I admit i ccouldn't picture Cobnar cottage and so needed to ask which building it was but then I went up to the park and so located it exactly and so could then decide that the claims that if it were sold it would also take part of the park proper is so much nonsense as it is seperated from the park by a stone wall.

That is total stupidity. Cobnar Cottage is not seperated from the park by a wall. It is in the park in exactly the same way as the cafe, the kids playgrounds, the animal farm, the house at the end of Charles Ashmore, the tennis courts and Norton Nursery are part of the park. Do you think that putting a bit of fencing or a wall round an area of the park removes it from the park and the charity that owns it and makes it available for the council to sell?

That is total stupidity. Cobnar Cottage is not seperated from the park by a wall. It is in the park in exactly the same way as the cafe, the kids playgrounds, the animal farm, the house at the end of Charles Ashmore, the tennis courts and Norton Nursery are part of the park. Do you think that putting a bit of fencing or a wall round an area of the park removes it from the park and the charity that owns it and makes it available for the council to sell?

Sorry I think you're the one thinking of the wrong building, if you stand in the park facing the sports pavilion then turn left and walk along the path you will see on your right a dense shrubbery of evergreen which hide the cottage. If you carry on a further few yards you then come to that other building with the car access in front of it and the outbuildings with the green doors.

In such an area the building is scarcely visible from the park path and although I've not scrambled through the shrubbery I didn't notice a way through to the rear of the cottage as there seems to be a stone wall in the way.

So to claim that it is in the park like the cafe or kids playground is ludicrous, it's on the boundary and looks seperate from the park if nothing else.

I don't agree with selling it either but as it's un-loved, unused and getting more and more delapidated then something needs to be done or it's going to eventually get trashed and fall down which is why I suggested leasing it out if anyone wanted to take it on.