When can I let her out?

When can I let my cat out? She's only been with me about 4 weeks and was spayed just after I picked her up. I'm scared to death to let her out!

I need to see pics before I can answer!! :P

Haha! I thought it was 2 weeks after jabs and the op, but i don't have cats (except an old moggy who doesn't go far from her bed!) sorry, someone else is probably much more useful than me lol

Edited by tavie_chain
Typo!

I know that it's pretty scary, but there are a few things that you can do to make letting her out a less risky thing.

1) Take her for a walk around your place in your arms if she'll let you, if not then walking with her in the garden and keeping her close with treats, fuss and games. Almost any cat will follow the person with the feathery toy if they're doing the right things with it, and that means that she will get to see the outside of your house without needing to 'find' her own way back the first time.

2) Take a little of her dirty cat litter outdoors so that she's got a smelly homing beacon in your garden in case she needs to look for your house.

3) Plan the first time that she's going to be allowed out by herself to be 10 minutes before dinner time, so she's hungry and is likely to want to come straight back for her food when you make dinner noises.

4) Continue to allow her out for a few days just before dinner until you're sure that she knows her name and will come when you call if she can hear you. You can maximise the chances of her getting used to coming when she's called by name by 'paying' her for coming with a Dreamie or a game, and then you'll have a routine set up where she comes for the treat even if she doesn't want to come in, just to reassure you that she's OK and you know that she's close to home.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the tips Medusa, its much appreciated. I'll take her food up tonight and make her hungry so she comes for food, she usually legs it to her bowl when I shake her food

What a beautiful cat :love:

All of what Medusa said is good :hihi:

Thanks Sam, she's incredibly talkative! She's currently observing the Rats I have in for boarding!