How do people feel about Facebook?

Almost everyone is on Facebook, am I missing the point? I just don't get it. It seems that it is a self PR exercise.

It looks like hard work to keep it all looking like a perfect image of someones life.

Another thing is that people always seem to fall out over who's put what on Facebook or nasty pictures of each other when they are suppost to be friends.

What do others really think of Facebook and is it a negative to how people feel?

For me its a good way of keeping in touch with people I want to keep in touch with as I have a number mates who now live abroad. Although I know there are too many out there that go down the route of adding as many people as possible just to show themselves off (usually girls tbh). I post rarely and if I do its usually something relevant rather than "Oh I am off for a crap now". I like the convenience of it but I never understood people who go "Oh facebooks crap all I get is crap status updates" well if they are that crap delete those people off your Facebook. If you add someone called John Smith SOYO CLUB then just perhaps they might be marketing the SOYO Club? Just a thought.

You are the product.

You are up for sale to the highest bidder.

You don't get any of the proceedings from the sale.

You are the product.

You are up for sale to the highest bidder.

You don't get any of the proceedings from the sale.

That's all true, but you do have a choice whether to us it or not.

I find FB has morals akin to Wonga etc, but you can somewhat circumvent those, if you keep everything "tight" security wise.

It's a useful free resource, as long as you use it right and don't let it take over your life, like some obviously do. 15-20 minutes a day is enough for me to do what i need.

That's all true, but you do have a choice whether to us it or not.

I find FB has morals akin to Wonga etc, but you can somewhat circumvent those, if you keep everything "tight" security wise.

It's a useful free resource, as long as you use it right and don't let it take over your life, like some obviously do. 15-20 minutes a day is enough for me to do what i need.

Indeed. I choose not to use it. I have e-mail (free) and Skype (free). I also have a pen, some paper, envelopes and postage stamps (not free.)

I manage to keep in contact with people quite easily without facebook.

I did have a facebook account, which was hacked. (I've no idea why.)

My wife has a facebook account and she's plagued by salespeople -

Indeed. I choose not to use it. I have e-mail (free) and Skype (free). I also have a pen, some paper, envelopes and postage stamps (not free.)

I manage to keep in contact with people quite easily without facebook.

I did have a facebook account, which was hacked. (I've no idea why.)

My wife has a facebook account and she's plagued by salespeople -

I totally respect each individuals opinion on FB, especially when explained so eloquently. :D Indeed i was a nay sayer only a year or two back, there's probably posts on here vehemently stating so, but then i viewed it from my own angle, not the negative hype.

It does have it's uses, but i accept not for everyone.

As you suggest: "Each to his own."

I prefer not to use facebook. - When my account was hacked, it was irritating. I would find the stream of (usually poorly-targetted) marketing my wife receives far more annoying.

It doesn't seem to bother her at all.

I do get my share of marketing missives. - I had a letter a couple of weeks ago congratulating me on recovering from my hysterectomy.

Another marketing company spent money leafletting the community in which I live in an attempt to persuade us to buy nappies. There were free samples.

Had the samples been a bit bigger, there might've been a few takers, but given that I live in an 'over 55' community it was probably a waste of money.:hihi:

I don't really use face book that much anymore. Its good for keeping in touch with (real) friends who now live far away and even overseas, and family who I don't always have time to see. I am thinking of ' culling' my friends list to just close friends.

I think it's brilliant. It's a great way to have a nosey at what people are doing. A lot of my colleagues are members as well, so it's a good way to contact them if I need to swap a shift or find some info out. It's possible to send a private message to them too, so that not everyone can see.

What I don't like is the posts like 'I've just had my tea..... Or half a message which supposed to encourage the reader to ask loads of questions.

It has some great games too, though I think you can play them without registering onto Facebook.

I am a member of a slimming group, and we have a section in which we can motivate each other, swap recipes, etc.

Of course, it supposedly has its drawbacks, but I haven't encountered any yet!

Almost everyone is on Facebook, am I missing the point? I just don't get it. It seems that it is a self PR exercise.

It looks like hard work to keep it all looking like a perfect image of someones life.

Another thing is that people always seem to fall out over who's put what on Facebook or nasty pictures of each other when they are suppost to be friends.

What do others really think of Facebook and is it a negative to how people feel?

I am back on it after about a year off because all my friends are leaving the country and its a very easy version of email. I don't use status updates and get annoyed at the people who can't be bothered to send a message and only do general updates because its totally impersonal.

I still don't like it but it is brilliant for sports clubs etc

I love it, you get out of it, just what you put into it.

It's like some other things, "it's not what you've got it's how you use it". I use it to keep in touch with people that it wouldn't be so easy to do otherwise. In real time usually not as and when a normal letter would be delivered and cheaper than a phone call. My son lives in Japan and it was invaluable to me keeping up with things that were happeninng during the big earthquake. If he couldn't get on for whatever reason, I could post on there and one or other of his "friends" that are also my "friends" would respond and say that they'd seen him or spoken to him and all was well...I wouldn't like to be without it now.

Simply to say Facebook is simply like a drug you can never stay without it once you get addicted!!!