Here's one for the religious..

Is this how it's going to be?

You're going to come, make a statement, and when it's challenged say 'I am right but can't be bothered to go into it'?

I've heard that before. It usually comes from those religious people this thread is aimed at.

Like I said, I come here to discuss, not to pander to ego's, if you're so sure, go into it, answer my questions, if not go away.

Ask some decent questions and put across some decent arguments and I'll be more than happy to.

If you can't manage that, then you shut up and go away.

Ask some decent questions and put across some decent arguments and I'll be more than happy to.

If you can't manage that, then you shut up and go away.

That's your argument is it, that my questions aren't worthy of answers.

Well at least we know you've got a sense of humour.

I'm done with you now.

So are you saying that people without the schizotypal trait have no ability to believe? That those without it cannot, rather than choose not to have religious belief?

That really isn't how it works. As I said originally, we can all apply metamagical thinking- I can imagine a world full of fantastical creatures, but I don't think they exist, people with the moderate trait might think it existed elsewhere or that it both does and doesn't exist whereas people with the strong trait might think it absolutely exists and in close proximity to them. People with the ultra-strong trait cannot tell the fantasy from reality at all.

In addition we all use rituals in times of stress- I won't step on cracks in the pavement when I'm stressed, someone with the moderate trait might have to perform a few more rituals than me before they feel settled, someone with the strong trait might have 6 hours worth of daily rituals to perform but they perform these at the correct times and have some insight into them. People with the ultra-strong trait cannot free themselves from the rituals and have no insight into why they're doing them.

So you see it's like an interplay between two separate graded scales. It's also not applicable across the board- there's a much higher than would normally be expected incidence of strong metamagical thinking associated with families of schizophrenic patients, but it's not definitive that if you're related to a schizophrenic you'll have the strong trait and people that have the strong trait don't have to be related to in any way to a schizophrenic. Only the probability is much greater, which is often the case in science. The same can be applied to rituals and OCD.

Only 3% of people are thought to be at the very strong end of schizotypal traits before it grades into schizophrenia. This fits with the idea of a low ratio of religious leaders to a high ratio of hunters.

That's your argument is it, that my questions aren't worthy of answers.

Well at least we know you've got a sense of humour.

I'm done with you now.

That's fine, but from what I gather your original post in the thread is asking people to back up their religion with science, now, we know that isn't possible.

But then I see the signature in your post and it has links to Buddhism.

Seems to me (just speculating here) that you are questioning other faiths to support your own, like yours is more correct than theirs, then you attack me because I've thrown a spanner in the works saying that ALL religion is BS. Which of course it is.

That was the agenda of yours I was referring to by the way.

Edited by Jabroni