Help choosing the right Half Marathon

Hi all,

Myself and a friend are planning on running a half marathon to raise money for Weston Park. We want a few months to get ready for it so are looking at maybe June/July onwards.

I wanted to go for the Sheffield half but firstly won't be ready in time and secondly my Partners due date is quite close to it so want to leave it.

I know this is all quite picky but ideally i would like one as close to sheffield as possible. I can drive so don't mind driving somewhere but don't want to be too far away. Can always stay somewhere overnight the night before i suppose but i don't want to spend a crazy amount.

I would also like a fairly flat race (Don't mind a couple of hills but would be nice if mostly flat!)

Finally i would like it to be quite a popular run with a lot of entrants. I've don the great yorkshire run in sheffield before and love the atmosphere when there is loads of runners.

So does anyone have any suggestions for quite close, flat half marathons with quite a high number of entrants?

Thank you in advance

Rikki

Nottingham half is a pretty good one- fairly flat and close to sheffield.

Going a bit further afield the Edinburgh half is good as its downhill for large stretches of it.

Mablethorpe (haven't done it myself yet, but seems very flat):

http://mablethorpemarathon.com

Worksop is good too (very slightly undulating, goes through Clumber park):

http://www.worksopharriers.co.uk/worksop-half-marathon-fun-run-c2.html

EDIT: Just seen you wanted a popular one. Recommend Worksop. End of October time, slight Halloween theme to it.

Humber bridge half is fairly flat and in June but can get a little windy on the actual bridge but normally it's the summer heat that gets you not the wind

Three words.

Great North Run.

If you can get a charity place do it. Amazing run, great atmosphere, and having done more than a few halfs, it's always been my personal favourite.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Don't forget Eyam half marathon! Fast and flat! (hehehe).