Using Canon FD lenses on digital camera.

I have a couple of old Canon film cameras. FTb and AE1. Loads of lenses etc but no longer shoot film.

I was contemplating buying a Canon digital camera and wondered about using the old lenses.

I've seen adaptors for sale but I'm pretty green about this type of thing.

Any advice would be welcomed particularly regarding which Canon digital would suit..

About the only canon camera with interchangable lens is the canon m which can take fl/fd lens via a 3rd party adapter

All dslrs have a longer register than the fl/fd lens meaning that you can't get infinity focus

There are cheap adapters made with optics in to correct this but results are mixed

there are very expensive canon adapters made but these were matched to canons long L lens only ( and only available secondhand)

you can have your old lens modified to fit but this is uneconomic unless they are exotica

Best camera to use them is a sony nex panasonic or olympus pen type

Canon EF fit DSLRs can take the old type of lenses with a cheapo adapter, some of these adapters will allow you to still get the AF confirm indication from the DSLR body, which is useful.

You might also want to think about a "full frame" SLR as well. This was something I was totally unaware about when I entered the wonderful world of digital SLRs last year. I'd kept my decent Canon lenses from my film days, and it was essential that I got a "full frame" SLR to take advantage of them.

You might also want to think about a "full frame" SLR as well. This was something I was totally unaware about when I entered the wonderful world of digital SLRs last year. I'd kept my decent Canon lenses from my film days, and it was essential that I got a "full frame" SLR to take advantage of them.

I would have thought they would have worked just the same on a dslr with the smaller sensor except that you would have to multiply the focal length of the lens by a factor of 1.6.