USB and Car Radios

Alky

Just got a Citroen C4 with a USB input for the radio - put a 256mb stick in with one album and it played fine. Then tried a 16gb one with 6 albums on and it would not load???

Any advice or should I take it to a main dealer for a check?

Thanks.

It may only be able to read SD cards, not SDHC cards. The 256mb will be a standard SD card whereas the 16gb will be a SDHC card which stores data in a completely different way and the car audio equipment may not have the software to decode it. Or it could be as someone above said, it may have a limit on acceptable memory card sizes.

Edit: Sorry just realised you're not using SD cards. Oops. Probably the latter then. Think it was post #3 that put memory cards in my head.

Edited by steroc

Hi - the albums are in folders and the info in the handbook mentions a maximum of 999 songs in different levels (I assume it means file structure?)

I have just deleted all but one album of the 16gb stick so will try that - if it works add more one a a time but it is a bit of a nuisence.

My friend has a similar car (the Peugot version) and uses the same memory stick and had dozens of albums on it and it works fine:(

Hi - the albums are in folders and the info in the handbook mentions a maximum of 999 songs in different levels (I assume it means file structure?)

I have just deleted all but one album of the 16gb stick so will try that - if it works add more one a a time but it is a bit of a nuisence.

My friend has a similar car (the Peugot version) and uses the same memory stick and had dozens of albums on it and it works fine:(

What happens if you use your friend's memory stick in your car?

I found in my Insignia that if you put the songs in album folders it scans and indexes faster. By dropping mp3's in at top level, it takes forever to index and sees the files as being in one enormous folder. From what I can make out it scans a folder and makes it available and then continues to scan the rest of the folders in sequence.

I found in my Insignia that if you put the songs in album folders it scans and indexes faster. By dropping mp3's in at top level, it takes forever to index and sees the files as being in one enormous folder. From what I can make out it scans a folder and makes it available and then continues to scan the rest of the folders in sequence.

I put all my albums in their own folders...like you say it seems to work fine like this..mine's a Ford (Sony) unit by the way..

I put all my albums in their own folders...like you say it seems to work fine like this..mine's a Ford (Sony) unit by the way..

Sorted then, all songs into album folders and off you go! Most units these days will read the high capacity sticks, I think Vauxhall units will read up to 32gb, thats an awful lot of music!!

Also remember to check your ID3 tags as some stereos can't cope with certain versions/encodings. Plus the filenames can be important, for instance mine refuses to sort them into alphabetical order if any of them are > 32 chars in length.