Solicitors: Should they obey your wishes, or do their own thing?

Regarding Family Law, and without going into too much at the moment, should lawyers sent out letters they think best, overruling their client's opinions and wishes, or follow their client to the T?

A relative has reached an impasse with his lawyer, who is insisting on sending out to 'the other party' a very short letter, and refused point blank to send out a more detailed letter based upon his own my relative's advice.

If there is no swearing, violent threats etc in a letter, are lawyers correct in trying to totally override what a client wants?

Regarding Family Law, and without going into too much at the moment, should lawyers sent out letters they think best, overruling their client's opinions and wishes, or follow their client to the T?

A relative has reached an impasse with his lawyer, who is insisting on sending out to 'the other party' a very short letter, and refused point blank to send out a more detailed letter based upon his own my relative's advice.

If there is no swearing, violent threats etc in a letter, are lawyers correct in trying to totally override what a client wants?

Not correct per se but the client's retainer (their agreement with the solicitor) will likely include a clause on following the solicitor's advice. Our retainer certainly does.

It's similar in a way to trying to get a GP to give you the pills you think are right rather than what they think.

I accept I'm biased being a lawyer.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

We have recently dispensed with a solicitor, for not sending out the agreed letter to the other sides solicitors.

We had no doubt whatsoever that in doing so, the case would have continued on going creating bigger revenues for both sets of solicitors.

There was nothing untoward in what we requested.

I suggest you change solicitors.

I also wish, that whilst our case wasnt in the family courts, yours is a perfect example of where mediators rather than solicitors would be better used.

I have no time for solicitors. Most of them are greedy human beings, making monies out of bad situations or peoples lack of knowledge of the system. Cue Moosey, who will say quite the opposite.... ;)

We have recently dispensed with a solicitor, for not sending out the agreed letter to the other sides solicitors.

We had no doubt whatsoever that in doing so, the case would have continued on going creating bigger revenues for both sets of solicitors.

There was nothing untoward in what we requested.

I suggest you change solicitors.

I also wish, that whilst our case wasnt in the family courts, yours is a perfect example of where mediators rather than solicitors would be better used.

I have no time for solicitors. Most of them are greedy human beings, making monies out of bad situations or peoples lack of knowledge of the system. Cue Moosey, who will say quite the opposite.... ;)

I can only agree, based upon my own and close family member's experiences.

I believe that he is changing lawyers, and formally complaining, his own letters are well written and literate.

I have no time for solicitors. Most of them are greedy human beings, making monies out of bad situations or peoples lack of knowledge of the system. Cue Moosey, who will say quite the opposite....

Nope. Don't care what your view is quite frankly. You know nothing of me, my friends and colleagues yet are happy to assume we fit that description. Why let facts get in the way of a good bit of prejudice eh.

As a P.S., there are many jobs that rely on other's misfortune and suffering. Security items are a prime example.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 21:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by green

I have no time for solicitors. Most of them are greedy human beings, making monies out of bad situations or peoples lack of knowledge of the system. Cue Moosey, who will say quite the opposite....

Nope. Don't care what your view is quite frankly. You know nothing of me, my friends and colleagues yet are happy to assume we fit that description. Why let facts get in the way of a good bit of prejudice eh.

As a P.S., there are many jobs that rely on other's misfortune and suffering. Security items are a prime example.

Just as a side note, I don't like most lawyers and wish I was in a different job but it's nothing to do with the suggestions you made.

I`ve never known a solicitor to follow a clients wishes yet.

Then report them. There's no harm in wording letters in the correct way but if you know lawyers who've gone against instructions they need reporting to the SRA. It's a disciplinary offence.