Ideal little runaround car

OH the amount of times I've want to type that sort of reply.. :)

I would try to strike a balance between economy and comfort.

It might be worth spending the extra on an LPG converted car or one that has the most modern stop start tech inside, on the other hand a £500 fiesta/corsa (insert common hatch back here) would be suitable and you could just spend the savings on fuel or replacing the car every couple of years..

maybe this sort of thing might be of intrest

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/just-add-fuel-107/

WOW I like that one :hihi:

Someone else has mentioned a citreon c1. Lots of good suggestions there. Thank you for them all. Time for a bit more research

If you're going to be driving it a lot then you might not want the smallest possible car, for comfort & in case you ever need to carry anything. I'd look at something like a Fiesta, Polo, Yaris, Suzuki Swift, or maybe even Focus, Golf, Civic, Merc A Class. German & Japanese cars tend to be more reliable than French or Italian.

Edited by anywebsite

Trouble with the "Just Add Fuel" scheme is that there is a deposit and mileage limit and I'm pretty sure you can't use the car for business purposes. Check the T & C's.

Can I ask any reason for getting rid of the A2, I would have thought its ideal for the job or do you want to release some money?

For your budget you can't be too fussy on the make, buy on condition IMO.

Nothing wrong with a Micra, Fiesta, Corsa, Yaris etc...

Austin Mini Mayfair 1.0cc. Insurance for £100 pa, all you need. Look on Gumtree or Ebay.

They want something reliable :hihi:

They want something reliable :hihi:

I'm a big Mini fan but I wouldn't want to drive around town in one for my job!

Also have you seen the price of decent Minis?

£1000-1500 will not get you a decent one.

With that kind of budget,i would suggest a nissan micra.Not the most trendy of cars[big deal]but bullet proof engine,totally reliable.Good luck with the job.:)

The K11 series are unbelievably reliable little cars. A neighbour bought one just to travel to work with a few months ago and now she uses it all the time, she loves it. It looks like it just came out of the showroom and has only done about 38,000 miles, not bad for £1500.

I'm a big Mini fan but I wouldn't want to drive around town in one for my job!

Also have you seen the price of decent Minis?

£1000-1500 will not get you a decent one.

I love them too, I see one round here all the time and it is in amazing condition, it has the little chrome eyelids :love:

Silly me alex!

Indeed - and I did apologise in advance! Just the natural pedant in me. No hard feelings I hope.

WOW I like that one :hihi:

Someone else has mentioned a citreon c1. Lots of good suggestions there. Thank you for them all. Time for a bit more research

Mrs KS has a C1, it's a great little car. Economical, reliable (Toyota engine,) cheapest insurance possible and £20/year tax, although some models are actually free. Tyres are dirt cheap too, not to mention easy to park!

Don't want to sound like a finger wagger but make sure you check out whether your employer will be insuring you whilst on works business and if not, make sure you get the correct business use insurance. I know someone who didn't realise they were not covered for business and got stung for an IN10 - 6 points, £200 fine and outrageous premiums for 5 years.

Mrs KS has a C1, it's a great little car. Economical, reliable (Toyota engine,) cheapest insurance possible and £20/year tax, although some models are actually free. Tyres are dirt cheap too, not to mention easy to park!

Don't want to sound like a finger wagger but make sure you check out whether your employer will be insuring you whilst on works business and if not, make sure you get the correct business use insurance. I know someone who didn't realise they were not covered for business and got stung for an IN10 - 6 points, £200 fine and outrageous premiums for 5 years.

Thanks for that Mr KS :thumbsup: I've made sure I'm insured for business use. I'm really liking the citreon C1 the more I hear about them. I'm going to investigate further. Would I get one for my price range though, the ones I've seen seem to cost a lot of money (thousands)

Hyundais (eg the i10) have 5 year warranties. Also late model Kias (eg the picanto) now have 7 year warranties. You might be able to pick one of these up at close to your price bracket with a residual of one of these warranties, to give extra peace of mind.