Junkfood/Horsemeat Saga

Whilst observing the public bleating on the news that they had inadvertently consumed horse, I got thinking about how absurd all this is.

The people whinging are more than happy to consume the junk the horsemeat has been found in, the processed meals that contain numerous nasties. These people seem to turn a blind eye to the crap such as preservatives, chemicals, excess salts and sugars. However, the slight mention of horse, they are up in arms. Eat junk, get junk.

Is it me, or can anyone else see the irony in this?

Whilst observing the public bleating on the news that they had inadvertently consumed horse, I got thinking about how absurd all this is.

The people whinging are more than happy to consume the junk the horsemeat has been found in, the processed meals that contain numerous nasties. These people seem to turn a blind eye to the crap such as preservatives, chemicals, excess salts and sugars. However, the slight mention of horse, they are up in arms. Eat junk, get junk.

are they up in arms though?

There is that many threads or has been about horse meat it's a wonder the Forum is not contaminated. :hihi:

The horse meat has even got into the forum. No one is safe.

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 09:46 ----------

are they up in arms though?

Dunno... they seemed pretty upset to me. They question the horse meat, however, they don't seem to question the stuff that actually harms their health :D

i find it hillarious!

i find it hillarious!

The horse part of it is probably the only part that is nutritious and/or healthy :D

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 10:10 ----------

Exactly. I find it ironic these people were happy to feed their kids/family with this harmful crap until now :D

Oh wow - i got a recommendation.....thank you

There probably are numerous threads about the horsemeat issue, but my concern is the lying and deceit. People should be consulted about their children eating horse cunningly disguised as beef in cottage pies - or any food!!!!In France, the horses are an acceptable food source and are subject to stringent health checks to verify they are fit for human consumption.

Britain doesn't have a system for processing horsemeat safely for our consumption like they do with cows, pigs and sheep. Horse over here is added to beef in secret and the intent is to DECEIVE and make profit. The horsemeat hasn't been tested and is more than likely contaminated with an unacceptable level of drugs which could be harmful to humans.The issue is not about eating horsemeat - if you like that meat, theres no problem with that - my concern is the deception and secrecy. We have a right to know what we and our children are eating and make an informed choice whether we wish to eat it or or not. Its not a difficult concept to understand.....surely

I don’t think the issue is the horse meat, it’s the fact criminal have managed to get something into our food apparently without the food industry knowing about it. It could just as easily been human meat, I imagin there would have been a bigger outrage though.:)

Oh wow - i got a recommendation.....thank you

There probably are numerous threads about the horsemeat issue, but my concern is the lying and deceit. People should be consulted about their children eating horse cunningly disguised as beef in cottage pies - or any food!!!!In France, the horses are an acceptable food source and are subject to stringent health checks to verify they are fit for human consumption.

Britain doesn't have a system for processing horsemeat safely for our consumption like they do with cows, pigs and sheep. Horse over here is added to beef in secret and the intent is to DECEIVE and make profit. The horsemeat hasn't been tested and is more than likely contaminated with an unacceptable level of drugs which could be harmful to humans.The issue is not about eating horsemeat - if you like that meat, theres no problem with that - my concern is the deception and secrecy. We have a right to know what we and our children are eating and make an informed choice whether we wish to eat it or or not. Its not a difficult concept to understand.....surely

If we had a safe system re the cows etc there wouldn't be horse in there!

If we had a safe system re the cows etc there wouldn't be horse in there!

I have had think about that response - i suspect you have a point - good point -but regardless ,the fact remains that we cannot,yet again ,trust the meat we are eating in this country.

I have had think about that response - i suspect you have a point - good point -but regardless ,the fact remains that we cannot,yet again ,trust the meat we are eating in this country.

On that we, generally, agree in respective of the low value meat. I think the better premium range cuts are generally ok.

Edited by pottedplant