Botanical gardens

iamwoody

When i was a young un my dad used to take me down tothe botanical gardens to see the avairy and aquariums , i remember some large piranahas in the aquarium and the keeper stood outside the avairy with a macaw on a stand which once went on my dads head and the keeper had to get it off which i thought was hilarious , also the talking mynah bird . Anyway i went back the other day and although the greenhouses have been renovated i think by losing these 2 features they are missing something and its a tad boring for the kids ( and some adults !). Does anybody have any memories of visiting here and maybe any photos ?

Used to visit as a young lad. Remember the birds and fish. Didn't the birds catch some sort of virus and die

I believe they caught something like Psittacosis (which manifests itself in humans as "Bird-fanciers lung") and there was, allegedly, a big danger to the public, so they were euthanased.

The Fish were in the first glasshouse, nearest the main gate, then the birds were in the biggest glasshouse, which was in the centre, and the third was used for art exhibitions and the like.

I'm not sure what fate befell the fish.

Thanks hillsbro is it my imagination or was there 2 of the macaws at one point ?
When I was at King Ted's and used to spend lunchtimes in the Botanical Gardens (1964-66) there was only ever one macaw on the perch outside - it was a blue and yellow one as in the photo. But there might have been another one in the large aviary inside.

I believe they caught something like Psittacosis (which manifests itself in humans as "Bird-fanciers lung") and there was, allegedly, a big danger to the public, so they were euthanased.

The Fish were in the first glasshouse, nearest the main gate, then the birds were in the biggest glasshouse, which was in the centre, and the third was used for art exhibitions and the like.

I'm not sure what fate befell the fish.

Well it's not far down to the two steps!

There were two parrots,Mac and Charlie.One of them (can't remember which) was a nasty piece of work!

When i was a young un my dad used to take me down tothe botanical gardens to see the avairy and aquariums , i remember some large piranahas in the aquarium and the keeper stood outside the avairy with a macaw on a stand which once went on my dads head and the keeper had to get it off which i thought was hilarious , also the talking mynah bird . Anyway i went back the other day and although the greenhouses have been renovated i think by losing these 2 features they are missing something and its a tad boring for the kids ( and some adults !). Does anybody have any memories of visiting here and maybe any photos ?

---------------

Hiya jamwoody, Yes i use to visit the gardens in the 1950s,

seen all them things you mentioned.

Did you ever see the bear pit in the early years,

i enclose a picture of what it is today.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/BEAR-PIT-1836_zps477fbafe.jpg

I have many fond memories of the Botanical Gardens in the 70's. My Mum, Dad, brother and myself used to go swimming at King Ted's on a Sunday morning then walk back home through the Gardens.

I used to love the Macaws (I remember there being two) and the piranhas used to fascinate me. I remember we used to like putting our hands up to the glass on the tank - they used to go mad try to eat your hand! In the end there was only one piranha left, but he was a big 'un!

Archived