Parking fine for Burgess Street?

My niece parked on Burgess Street at 17:30 hrs on Tuesday within one of several white-line marked council parking bays. She bought a ticket from a machine and displayed it visibly. The ticket states its expiry time as the following morning at 08:00 hrs.

She came back well within the expiry time at 10pm Tuesday and a parking notice had been served on her car, and several other vehicles in the same street who had also parked within other white-lined parking bays.

The notice states the reason as "parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours". She says she was unaware of any notices stating restrictions on Burgess Street. She says she did not park in or across any loading or taxi areas but in one of the marked parking spots.

I've Google StreetViewed Burgess Street and the parking bays look viable. Indeed, there is a ticket dispensing machine opposite the bays. Can anyone throw any light on these parking restrictions on Burgess Street?

Edited by spartacus
Clarity

Thanks, Truman. It looks like the ticket is justified. I'll pay it for her.

Thanks y'all. Happy parking.

No it doesn't, quite the opposite in fact. The sign says parking is restricted to 1hr between 0800 and 1830 with the display of a valid ticket. Outside of those hours there are no restrictions. Your niece parked at 1730 so the 1hr restriction would take her to 1830, after that they is no restriction on parking. This is why her ticket says parking valid until 0800 the following day when restrictions come back into force.

jb

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_191927.pdf

I cant see the Google Street View stuff, what does the signage say?

It says:

Mon-Sat 8:00am-6:30pm

Pay here at machine

Display ticket

Max Stay 1 hour

---------- Post added 31-01-2013 at 13:21 ----------

No it doesn't, quite the opposite in fact. The sign says parking is restricted to 1hr between 0800 and 1830 with the display of a valid ticket. Outside of those hours there are no restrictions. Your niece parked at 1730 so the 1hr restriction would take her to 1830, after that they is no restriction on parking. This is why her ticket says parking valid until 0800 the following day when restrictions come back into force.

jb

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_191927.pdf

That's why I posted the piccy so that someone could confirm..