Garden maintenance business

Hi. Just in the process of starting up my own garden maintenance business .got most power tools and hand tools needed got a little van just looking for tips on how to win work. Obviously not going to get much work now but am looking to get going for march time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Like tractorboy said, it's mainly a word of mouth business, so your first few months are going to be the hardest. When I started out I got some flyers printed up with a space to insert the house number I'd been working at and dropped them off at all the surrounding houses, that yielded pretty good results (vistaprint are very cheap for flyers etc).

Advertising wise I wouldn't touch yell (or whatever they are now called) with a bargepoll.

I'd definitely get a website even if it's just a basic one and you can link to it in your forum signature which will help with your google ranking. There are loads of web designers on here so worth posting an ad in the jobs wanted section to get some quotes for it. Once you have a website then if you need extra work, which you certainly will do at first, then the best value method I found was google adwords as you can target it very specifically at the sort of search phrases you are interested in.

The forum is another potential source of work, but don't rely on it. There are probably a dozen or so professional gardeners on here, plus many times more people looking for a bit of cash in hand work so where people want a professional the competition is high and if they want cheap (and lots do) they will be inundated with people quoting buttons.

On a non-customer related point, keep your van locked when you're not loading or unloading kit, and don't leave your kit where you can't see it. There have been a number of lads who've lost kit recently from unlocked vehicles or left unattended for a few minutes, which can knock a small business right back so don't make life easy for the thieving scrotes. It's worth registering your kit on http://www.immobilise.com/ - it's free and you can mark your kit and photograph it (I used a pruning knife to carve a recognisable small mark on the inside of the plastic casing on stuff like strimmers, chainsaws etc) so if it does get nicked there's a better chance of getting it back

Good luck with it :)

out of interest what do you guys charge hourly for these jobs, how do do figure out your prices? I would love to be brave enough to try the self employed route.

I have a van and all of the tools needed, but will probably just stick to my current job forever. Lol

Thanks for all advise there, defo think having a website even if it is a basic one would help I will look into that more, I am in process of getting some flyers from flyerzone.com there quite cheap and look ok. Like you both said think best way is doing a good job for right price and people will recomend me hopfull. Thanks again for advise much appreciated.

Yh that's not a bad idea setting up a Facebook account might just do it on my own account as I already have a few friends and family on it. As for quoting Steve think I will be workin from price rather than per hour as I like to spend abit of time on a job and make it look right.

you can set up a page from your FB account and use it for everyone without having to be friends with them.

Put a link on your van/flyers to your facebook page then prospective customers could look at pictures on there.

It can just be like a mini website (with photo's) for your gardening business, anything is worth a try.

Archived