Rotherham or Bradford

samg123

Hi guys,

I currently live in Dorset and would like to relocate to Yorkshire some time soon. The company i work for has offices in either Bradford or Rotherham. Can anyone recommend nice areas to live close by to either of these 2 towns and which one is a nicer area? Please be honest,

Thanks,

Sam

It depends what kind of person and area you like. I don't like Rotherham. There are some nice areas but they tend to be cookie cutter housing estates - 2.4 children, VW golf on the drive, 2 weeks in Majorca, buy the iphone because its popular, watch soap operas, go to the local every Friday and Saturday night, go 'down town' when you get paid, join a gym, go to weight watchers, run up a credit card. Rotherham is a town.

I can't comment on Bradford - no idea what its like.

I'd highly recommend Sheffield - its the best city in the UK. Cosmopolitan yet a big friendly village. Lots to see and do. Some very nice housing areas, lots of green space. Not far from the Peak District, great rail links.

Work in Rotherham, live in Sheffield. That is what I would say.

Hi,

I also work in Rotherham and live in Sheffield ( S5 ) in the firth park area. All of S5 has a bad reputation but before living around firth park I was living in Meersbrook ( S8 ) which was nice but much further from Rotherham and get more for your money on the north side of the city.

From working in three secondary schools in Rotherham, im not sure I would choose to live there when you could live in Sheffield instead!!

No idea on Bradford, only I went there once and traffic is mental around there!

I've been to Bradford and it is 100 times worse than rotherham.

If you live in sheffield and work in rotherham it's easy to get to rotherham, there's the parkway, a dual carriageway inter city motorway that runs from sheffield city centre to rotherham town centre (pretty much)

Handsworth is a nice area and has its own slip road to the parkway next to the asda.

Hope everything works out alright for you mate.

Thanks for the replies. I've never been to either rotheram or bradford which is why i needed the advice. I really like Sheffield. I've only been for the weekend and basically only saw the city centre shops and nightlife but i thought it was a a really nice city. I'm guessing there are many different suburbs of Sheffield. Can you recommend the nicer / better ones. I know we all have our own opinions of nice so i guess i mean safe ares. Preferably with an easy commute to Rotherham. Also, i literally don't know a single person in the area so and suburbs that have a nice community feel would be good but not essential. Thanks.

You need to say what you want out of it. Close to town for going out, or close to the Peaks for countryside?

Any hobbies?

City centre living or Quiet house with drive?

Driving to work or public transport?

Where are your offices?

Budget?

Expectations? I live in Burngreave, which is regarded as a bit of a dump, but it has great shops, good transport links and is close to town. I have friends in Hunters Bar, which is much nicer, but much more expensive and a bit of a pain if commuting to Rovrum.

More info is really needed.

:)

Thanks for the replies. I've never been to either rotheram or bradford which is why i needed the advice. I really like Sheffield. I've only been for the weekend and basically only saw the city centre shops and nightlife but i thought it was a a really nice city. I'm guessing there are many different suburbs of Sheffield. Can you recommend the nicer / better ones. I know we all have our own opinions of nice so i guess i mean safe ares. Preferably with an easy commute to Rotherham. Also, i literally don't know a single person in the area so and suburbs that have a nice community feel would be good but not essential. Thanks.

Try Walkley, Crookes, Hillsborough [sheffield] all within half hour max drive over Herries Road into Rotherham.

If you are well healed then Moorgate and Whiston are upmarket areas in Rotherham.