Can you be friends with an ex?

Well as anyone would know reading my posts from a while ago the answer is most definately a YES!!

Split up in May last year after a 5 year relationship and STILL live together!!! First few months were hard but nowadays we got on great and even go out together as mates. And it is purely friendship...there's no sex or romance.

Only problem with our situation is our house is really slow selling so neither of us can move on so if or when either of us meet's someone new its difficult for the other person to handle the situation.

I think a lot depends on whether you were friends in the first place aswell as a lot of ppl I've dated I never had enough in common with them to have friendly feelings towards them - just lust! I think both parties have to want to be friends and sometimes the effort isn't worth the friendship gained.

Some people I've dated and realise we'd be better off as friends because they annoy me too much to have as a significant other but as friends you see every so often they're great.

It's easier if the relationship wasn't serious and you broke up amicably. I've found there is always *something* there afterwards though, even if you don't act on it, the fact you're more than likely to have seen each other naked and known each other biblically will always create some taboos in the friendship.

Having recently split with someone who was my friend for a long time before he was a boyfriend I desperately want to get back to the way things were before with us sharing intimate details of our love lives and such. He can do that with me because I don't have any feelings other than friendship towards him (and I love a bit of juicy goss!), and I want to do likewise but I know it would hurt him at the moment. I hope it gets back to normal eventually but I realise it will take time and I feel I'll always have to be careful as there will be that weirdness where you worry someone will think you're referring to them...treading on eggshells.

I'll let you know, am just at the stage of trying to be friends with mine. I've never stayed friends with an ex before but I suppose theres a first time for everything

Iam freinds with 3 of my x's and we are more close now then we was when we dated.one being the father to my child the other two just very good friends.I always say if you carnt be friends then you can not been lovers in the first place.I only not speek to one x i was last with that is because it end very nasty.So yes i know plenty of friends who are friends with x's it can work.But sometimes x's do not like to be remided of the past and move on.

I think it depends upon whether or not there are any sexual feelings still there, or whether or not you are mature enough to realise that you can be sexually attracted to each other but personality wise it doesn't work.

I am still friends with my ex's although it is tricky because it is important to ensure she doesn't get hurt any further than she was (or me for that matter), and that it is a friendship which has some substance.

As long as I do not hurt her emotionally then I stay friends, if it becomes difficult then no, best left alone.

no..you split for a reason, even if children are involved ,get the visiting sorted ,and then leave well enough alone

I wish I could have with my ex called lucy j... of oughtibridge she was not only my ex but also all those years ago my best friend. where ever you are i hope you have succeded in everything you wanted in life and are keeping well etc. from mark t.

Edited by badboyzukltd

Yes, I am still friends with one of my ex's and still talk to another, sometimes.

I wish I could have my ex called lucy jepson of oughtibridge was not only my ex but also all those years ago my best friend. where ever you are i hope you have succeded in everything you wanted in life and are keeping well etc. from mark t.

awwww thats really very sweet bless ya:thumbsup:

I wish I could have my ex called lucy jepson of oughtibridge was not only my ex but also all those years ago my best friend. where ever you are i hope you have succeded in everything you wanted in life and are keeping well etc. from mark t.

Aww what a sweetie :)

With some exes, I am sure it would be possible, even desirable.

With my ex, no way. Who would want to be friends with a cruel, lying bast'rd like him?

guess the big deciding factor is whay they are your ex... that determines whether you can be friends or not...