Advice which website building "kit" to buy

I have never had any experience of any version of Mr Site, or any other similar software, so I can't really offer any advice. Only thing I have used is Dreamweaver, but from what you are saying you need something simpler than that. Have you thought about paying someone to set-up a site for you?

I'm sure a web developer would set-up your domain name, hosting, and basic install of Wordpress for you at a minimal charge. It would then be up to you to add the content. The blog in my signature uses Wordpress, I find it pretty straight forward to use and I have also customised the design.

---------- Post added 24-01-2013 at 08:45 ----------

Just to add, you can create a static homepage with Wordpress - you don't need to use Wordpress like a blog.

The problem with a basic wordpress install for someone who needs a basic sitebuilder, is that they won't know how to upload a theme, as the basic install won't be any good as it comes. They may struggle to set up static and blog pages, plugins, use ftp, and all the bits n bobs that go with the set up to get it to where they want.

I sell hosting that lets you set up a basic wordpress site at a click of a button, so a cheap instant website, but I don't sell the support to the flurry of FAQ's that will follow for setting it up and adding plugins, etc. I imagine other web designers are the same - it doesn't pay to sell a hosting account for £50 only to spend 2-3 hours of table tennis emails on how to do this, why is it not doing that, and so on. And th client isn't want to going to pay us £50 an hour for that support on a cheap template website.

Edited by indizine

I had a go with WordPress and didn't find it at all user-friendly. It is designed for blogging so needs to be tweaked for websites. I am a complete amateur too so I use Serif WebPlus. I have just upgraded to x6 and find it very simple and straightforward. There are a number of templates; inevitably you have to delete a load of frames/pictures that are of no use to you but they are useful to get the basic structure. There is a free, basic version to try out. If you like it you just give Serif a call and they will give you a better price as it will be an upgrade. Alternatively, they currently selling off x5 at a much reduced price; my friend has recently had an email from Serif offering it for £9.95 but I don't know if that is still available.

You can't lose anything by downloading the free one; at least you will know if it is suitable.

Edited by ccit

I use Serif too. x5 is available for under £40 and can produce stunnng results in the right hands. You will need an eye for design and a clear idea of what you want your site to do for you. There is some good advice here. There is also a very active Serif forum where you can get lots of help and advice.

I seem to remember that once the basic free version is downloaded Serif offer good prices on an upgrade - you can haggle a bit and there is a freephone telephone number.

I upgraded from x4 to x6 just before Christmas for £39. I was hesitant at first but now I'm glad I did because it has lots more features.

It can be treated more or less like a desktop publishing exercise. There is no need to know about code although you would need to copy and paste snippets of code into it when you register with Bing and Google webmaster tools. That process is not too difficult either. As the previous poster says, there is a useful forum and purchasing a copy qualifies for Serif support.

I used Webeden to make mine because my father in law pays for an account that can host upto 5 different websites so it is free to me. Webeden is very simple and user friendly! The problem with it is that it uses flash player so my website looks awful on Apples and phones, but for my business it isn't detrimental.

I am helping a friend re-do her website at the moment and she is with Mrsite. It is more complicated than Webeden but the format doesn't change when it is viewed on your phone etc.