Sand in the attic?

hi,I live in a council house in the north of the city and was clearing my attic out and discovered a fine sand like substance about an inch thick all over floor between the joists.I was wondering if this was used as a form of insulation and if it is ok to remove?

Edited by breadcakes

hi,I live in a council house in the north of the city and was clearing my attic out and discovered a fine sand like substance about an inch thick all over floor between the joists.I was wondering if this was used as a form insulation and if it is ok to remove?

i think it sand from when the roof tiles where put on can u see the tiles from inside the loft

---------- Post added 13-01-2013 at 21:15 ----------

i think it sand from when the roof tiles where put on can u see the tiles from inside the loft

mine was the same when i started to board my loft out, they used some kind of cement to hold tiles in place

I dont think its from the tiles as its so fine and a uniform thickness all over the floor.There has been old fibre glass placed over and new insulation on top of that.Ive already taken 12 buckets full out so far and am not half way through the attic yet,thats at 350lbs in weight

Edited by breadcakes

I dont think its from the tiles as its so fine and a uniform thickness all over the floor.There has been old fibre glass placed over and new insulation on top of that.Ive already taken 12 buckets full out so far and am not half way through the attic yet,thats at 350lbs in weight

yours sounds like mine i moved a few buckets of sand well then hooverd the rest up it took me ages lol i also had clumps what looked like sand in between the joist where the slates are thats why iam sure its from that area i could be wrong

It could be a primitive type of loft insulation pre-dating the thick rolls of material now available.

thats what i'm thinking as there's too much and evenly spread to be from tiles.As this house is one of the most common of council homes in the city i can only imagine others must have the same in theres

It could be a primitive type of loft insulation pre-dating the thick rolls of material now available.

really? I mean - really?

its the old cement torching from the roof tiles mixed with dozens of years of car fumes, dust and wind.

some of the houses we work in the dust is deeper than the joists.

Many slates and tiles were torched with a weak render to support the nailing.Overtime the lime/cement breaks down, releasing the sand.

I'm going with your view as the old insulation has got to have been there 25years+ and there isnt any sign of the sandy substance on top of that.

I reckon by the time ive cleared the lot out it would have weighed about 700 to 800lbs and its only a 2 bed house

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 20:13 ----------

I googled it and apparently they used a sand type of substance as insulation in the 1920's

I googled it and apparently they used a sand type of substance as insulation in the 1920's

Quite possibly- despite this contrary post:

really? I mean - really?

its the old cement torching from the roof tiles mixed with dozens of years of car fumes, dust and wind.

some of the houses we work in the dust is deeper than the joists.