Visiting Australia

7 weeks in Nov will put you smack bang into xmas flight costs....

As others have said forget the package stuff. Create your own itinerary. Sit down one night and look at your particular dates for cricket and work around them. Book everything individually so you know exactly where you want to be doing and exactly what you want to do.

Dont worry about getting lost... We have street signs here aswell! :hihi: Ignore the scaremongerers that talk about spiders and snakes, its just not like that. As with all countries there are places that are rough and places that are spectacular.

Were a friendly bunch over here and so long as you can take a pom joke or 3, you will be fine.... And have many stories when you return home.

thats why i was going with this http://www.howzattravel.co.uk/Tours/TheAshes-2013-14/Ashes-2013-England-Cricket-Tours-To-Australia-Walkabout-All-Five-Tests.html

£8,199 for 7 weeks & i get everything sorted out for me & i get to see 7 Different places & i get to see every days play of all 5 test matches of the ashes witch i think will be awesome but maybe 25 days of cricket might be a little bit too much but then i might be able to sell my match tickets if i dont want to go

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 09:07 ----------

Australia is nice for visit, we are also planning to go, Now collecting information what to see over there? we are going in group of 6 people and trip is arranged by tours and travels agency.

Would be great fun..!

when are you going?

still got loads of time to find other deals & i'v seen an Africa tour going for just less then 5k for 73 days but to be honest Africa is not something what appeals to me as much as Australia

that's not what I felt at all. I would say South Africa/Swazi/Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia as a package would be a far more appealing prospect than Australia as well as being considerably less expensive.

I liked Australia, went for one long trip of almost a year (where I worked for a while) and returned for short ones to attend a couple of weddings/parties of friends in the cities while I was not to far away in south east Asia, but I just wouldn't really rave and rave and rave about Australia. The country just isn't all that interesting for me. The culture is far too homogenous and there's very little to choose really between like Perth and Brisbane, even though the climate is much different and they're thousands of kilometers apart from each other. For the southern hemisphere thing, music and dance/nightlife, etc I preferred South Africa. However I wouldn't knock Australia. However 'boring' it is, it's still a really safe and fun place to be and if there is anyplace else in the world where it is better to be a little kid, healthier and with a better 'outdoor pursuit' type attitude, then I never saw it. Plenty of other people like Australia (safe but venturesome, predictable, homogenous i.e. you know exactly what you are getting) for the very same reasons I don't like it so much. You can tell they've never had a proper civil war/wars in Australia, like in Europe, or like they had in the United States or South Africa. It shows.

that's not what I felt at all. I would say South Africa/Swazi/Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia as a package would be a far more appealing prospect than Australia as well as being considerably less expensive.

I liked Australia, went for one long trip of almost a year (where I worked for a while) and returned for short ones to attend a couple of weddings/parties of friends in the cities while I was not to far away in south east Asia, but I just wouldn't really rave and rave and rave about Australia. The country just isn't all that interesting for me. The culture is far too homogenous and there's very little to choose really between like Perth and Brisbane, even though the climate is much different and they're thousands of kilometers apart from each other. For the southern hemisphere thing, music and dance/nightlife, etc I preferred South Africa. However I wouldn't knock Australia. However 'boring' it is, it's still a really safe and fun place to be and if there is anyplace else in the world where it is better to be a little kid, healthier and with a better 'outdoor pursuit' type attitude, then I never saw it. Plenty of other people like Australia (safe but venturesome, predictable, homogenous i.e. you know exactly what you are getting) for the very same reasons I don't like it so much. You can tell they've never had a proper civil war/wars in Australia, like in Europe, or like they had in the United States or South Africa. It shows.

A very honest and well thought out reply Callippo. I have visited most of the eastern seaboard of Australia but not much else and I am speaking as a resident, not a tourist. I dislike the vast distances and the 'sameness' of the terraine especially travelling inland through NSW and Victoria. I hate life in the big cities, we lived in Sydney for 13 years, the heat, the traffic, the pressure of living almost drove us back home. Instead, we came to Tasmania which restored our sanity. I would not dissuade anyone from visiting Australia, guided tour or otherwise, just come and enjoy yourself Johny, I'm sure you will have a ball.

Lonley Planet Thorn Tree website, which did have a very active an informative Australia branch, has been pulled off the internet and basically no longer exists.

I think its back up again,

bbc acting like sheffield forum:hihi:

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 14:53 ----------

yes I agree I"m down here most of the time but I've got to admit most aussie's can be pretty dull and boring (especialy the ones who've never been overseas)

,its alright but you have to keep leaving it to stay sane if it was'nt for the expats and other nationalties I"D have gone along time ago.

btw countrysides alright if you like gumtrees

Edited by johncocker

Give it a miss at the moment,the exchange rate is absolute garbage.

I've been twice in recent years and am planning to go again in November.

I've not bothered booking anything yet as the exchange is around 1.4-1.5 aud-gbp

so its megga expensive for everything when you get there.

last time I went it was $2.5 to the £ and most stuff was same price as here.

its stuff like hotels ,car hire,petrol that makes it megga$ at the moment.:(

Give it a miss at the moment,the exchange rate is absolute garbage.

I've been twice in recent years and am planning to go again in November.

I've not bothered booking anything yet as the exchange is around 1.4-1.5 aud-gbp

so its megga expensive for everything when you get there.

last time I went it was $2.5 to the £ and most stuff was same price as here.

its stuff like hotels ,car hire,petrol that makes it megga$ at the moment.:(

thats why i was thinking about going on that tour as i'v looked up the hotels where i'll be stopping at & if i 1 of them will have cost me £1,500 for 6 nights & the cheapest was £100 a night so that deal looks better then i first thought & i can get Australia Dollars for around 1.6 per pound

thats why i was thinking about going on that tour as i'v looked up the hotels where i'll be stopping at & if i 1 of them will have cost me £1,500 for 6 nights & the cheapest was £100 a night so that deal looks better then i first thought & i can get Australia Dollars for around 1.6 per pound

Yeh, deal sounds ok,exchange rate will make a hell of a difference though,bear in mind its almost the same to eat out in a resturaunt as it is to eat at home,this will make it expensive compared to previous years.

I found that the flights this time round are almost the same price as the last time,and time before.

depends were you fly from and to

It is a great experience, even if your watching cricket:gag:

Yeh, deal sounds ok,exchange rate will make a hell of a difference though,bear in mind its almost the same to eat out in a resturaunt as it is to eat at home,this will make it expensive compared to previous years.

I found that the flights this time round are almost the same price as the last time,and time before.

depends were you fly from and to

It is a great experience, even if your watching cricket:gag:

i'll be hoping to fly from Manchester as it only an hour as London is about 3 hours away