(Clanktown) Stocksbridge Sports Centre

Guest sibon
Stocksbridge leisure centre was paid for with funds raised by the people of Stocksbridge what has Sheffield council ever done for Stocksbridge. Answer Sweet F.A

If, as you say, Sheffield council has done nothing for Stocksbridge, the people of Stocksbridge should be able to take it over and run it at their own expense.

If, as you say, Sheffield council has done nothing for Stocksbridge, the people of Stocksbridge should be able to take it over and run it at their own expense.

And the rest of stocksbridge as well a UDI sounds like a great idea if only it were possible, we have our own town hall so maybe it is.

Sadly Stocksbridge is an easy target. Miles away from many in Sheffield so the loss will only be noticed by local people.

On a side note whenever I have been their is a queue waiting to pay so it is not failing in this way.

Maybe dave and his big society could run it

Sadly Stocksbridge is an easy target. Miles away from many in Sheffield so the loss will only be noticed by local people.

On a side note whenever I have been their is a queue waiting to pay so it is not failing in this way.

There's plenty of things being cut much closer to Sheffield Town Hall too - I don't think there's any agenda against any one part of the council's area here

Id suggest Angela Smith MP for this area get involved in this debacle and lets see Lab vs Lab trying to score points over the coalition yet again...

There are already groups who have had to stop using the centre due to large price hikes by SIV, and if they spend £400,000 a year it certainly isn't on making it more attractive!

Local groups have looked at running it before; now is the time!! May even qualify for some Lottery/EU funding which a council-run building couldn't get to drag it into the 21st century?

Come on people - sieze the opportunity!

SCC could sell it for a nominal amount, with a coffee shop/restaurant and some support it could work!!!

Jon, ex-Stocksbridge

Threads merged

I generally just read these pages but the lates news about the council shutting our sports centre has incensed the people in Stocksbridge and area I reckon the council have got this wrong and will regret it

and as for those having a go saying the people of stocksbridge always feel hard done too well you want to try living up here the council are cutting the dump it site, the grit mountain, care for the elderly, the library is scheduled to go we here the advice centre why dont they just build a fence round stocksbridge and board us up !!!

Politicians labour and tory scum make me sick they just dont care about the lives of ordinary people !!!

Yes they should do that, like they did at Chapeltown when the council were going to close their facilities down.

Edited by satman2222

If the Council are subsidising the centre by £3 per user at Stocksbridge and 50p per user at Hillsborough the simple answer is - the Council should subside Stocksbridge users by 50p and the user pay an extra £2.50 per use to keep the centre open

oh sorry, no-one will want to pay the extra (I wouldn't) - maybe the local 'buy out' of the Council and run it like Chapeltown is the right idea