In 2013 does Sheffield really need 27 libraries? Closures threatened.

Staff can't be told until the decision makers (ie the Councillors) have decided exactly what is to happen.

Why Not? They're all adults (well mostly). Why does it have to be secret? If staff knew what the options were, then they'd be able to contribute to the debate. They might find that the staff, who know what's going on at ground level, can come up with better solutions than the ones being proposed.

Managers will have been developing costed options to discuss with Councillors.

So, let folk hear what the options are. The future employment of the staff is at stake here. Why can't they be told what's going on?

The budget setting process ins necessarily lengthy and it's no good discussing things in too much detail with staff until there is something firm to discuss.

Why is it 'no good'? And they're not getting any detail, never mind 'too much'.

This idea that you can't tell the staff what's going on, is out of date. Management are supposed to be open and honest with staff these days. That's the way you get the best out of people. Keeping people in the dark is old-fashioned paternalistic rubbish. Good employers stopped working like that years ago. I've worked for companies that have an open and honest relationship with employees. It does work better and gets better work done.

This idea that you can't tell the staff what's going on, is out of date. Management are supposed to be open and honest with staff these days. That's the way you get the best out of people. Keeping people in the dark is old-fashioned paternalistic rubbish. Good employers stopped working like that years ago. I've worked for companies that have an open and honest relationship with employees. It does work better and gets better work done.

I'm all for open and honest management and keep my staff as fully informed as I can, but does it do any good to set hares running with the staff every time you are asked to cost up this or that option, most of which will probably never happen?

I'm all for open and honest management and keep my staff as fully informed as I can, but does it do any good to set hares running with the staff every time you are asked to cost up this or that option, most of which will probably never happen?

Wake up my friend, it is happening now! These current 'options' are coming your way! Despite what some say about 'jobs for life', people are being made redundant by the council. There were people in tears on Friday when they were told that their employment would cease at the end of March!

These are not folk who have enjoyed 'fat cat' salaries for years etc. etc., they are people whose wages just match 'the living wage' of £7 odd an hour.

Wake up my friend, it is happening now! These current 'options' are coming your way! Despite what some say about 'jobs for life', people are being made redundant by the council. There were people in tears on Friday when they were told that their employment would cease at the end of March!

These are not folk who have enjoyed 'fat cat' salaries for years etc. etc., they are people whose wages just match 'the living wage' of £7 odd an hour.

I'm very well aware of what is happening thank you. I'm one of the people who gets told how big the cut will be then has to work out how to apply it. People I know very well are losing their jobs.

I'm very well aware of what is happening thank you. I'm one of the people who gets told how big the cut will be then has to work out how to apply it. People I know very well are losing their jobs.

Well then, it worries me that you say that staff can't be told what's going on. If you're that close to the action, you have a moral duty to keep your staff informed. If I was one of the people that you 'know very well', I'd expect to be told what's going on.

Been there; done that!

Really sad to hear that this is being considered....

I use and like the library and would like to make a few points....

1. They are evolving (albeit a bit slowly) to the modern age-but some of us still like to read those strange paper things. The computers where I go are usually in use.

2. Maybe we need to think of other ways to use them to make them more viable-meetings study etc.

3.The super library-I thought that was what the central library is?? I don't want to pay first or mainline £4 just to go get a book-I'd rather give it to the library thanks.

4. One of the traditional uses of libraries was for the old and poor to go to read the paper all day thereby saving on heating costs-with the current cuts we may need all 27 libraries to stop our pensioners freezing.

Picking up on some of the points that Parvo made....

There is so much that our libraries should be doing for both young and old.

For example:-

Breakfast clubs and after school homework clubs for school kids.

A space for parents to take pre-school kids and introduce them to books and kickstart their education.

Computer time for the 'out of work' to search and apply for jobs, or just to enhance their skills to find a job.

Jobcentres currently direct people to their local library to get a cv developed. How will they do that when 14 branches are closed?

The problem is that the money/staff to have the branches open at appropriate times of the day and each day of the week isn't available. Volunteers to look after the kids is one way forward, but if we totally close 14 branch libraries, then even the use of volunteers to extend opening times won't be possible. So, we'll get more kids out on the streets who are going to get up to bother instead of furthering their education.

This is not just about people being able to borrow 'Fifty Shades of Grey', there is a lot more that libraries are being, or could be, used for, to benefit society.

Exactly right.

I also agree with the inscription above the door of Highfields Library

"That there should one man die ignorant who had capacity for knowledge, this I call a tragedy, were it to happen, more than twenty times in the minute as by some computations it does" - Thomas Carlyle

See it here - http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/coo150im.html

I joined Highfield library at 4 years old, and have used the library ever since, its a service I use at least once a fortnight, for loaning books, dvds, and a whole host of other things, would be a travesty if even one was closed, !!!!!

In a city where the vast majority of people are connected to the internet I think the idea of so many libraries is largely redundant.

If it was thought up as a new idea now it would never come into fruition.

Build a huge library in the centre of Sheffield and or make books available online.

The Libraries are really important for people to get online. It's nice when you've got a secure home with a good broadband connection but there's a real danger of us creating another gap between the people who have the advantage of ready access to the internet and those who don't.

The super library-I thought that was what the central library is?? I don't want to pay first or mainline £4 just to go get a book-I'd rather give it to the library .

Well said

Librarys are part of the community, however like a number of people have said they neef to adapt to the real world.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Well said

Librarys are part of the community, however like a number of people have said they neef to adapt to the real world.

How do they need to adapt to the real world? What does this mean?

If you mean lend e-books, well OK, but there are reports in the papers that e-books have peaked in sales and that reports of the demise of the paper book are vastly exaggerated. My local library is very well used. Apart from a lot of book borrowers the computers are always busy, there's lot's of young mums with their children borrowing books and there's always a several people reading the newspapers and magazines.

There are also meeting rooms which are well used by local groups. It's one of the more visible and important local services provided by the council.

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 00:41 ----------

Do people still use libraries?

However, I wasn't too impressed with the books on offer at my local library so I tend to go to town. But thats not much good for people further afield I guess and if my local library has books which appeal to most local people then I guess a million Catherine Cooksons is ok!

You don't need to be restricted in your borrowing by the books stocked by your local branch. With your library card number and PIN you can log on and search the entire Sheffield Libraries catalogue. When you find the books you want you can reserve them and they will be delivered to your local branch for collection. They even email you to let you know when the book is ready for collection.

You can also renew your books online up to three times to avoid those pesky fines :)

It's a brilliant service, all available from your home computer, just log on here -

http://library.sheffield.gov.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/?ps=NDijkRjMHO/CL/0/49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last Bus

Well said

How do they need to adapt to the real world? What does this mean?

If you mean lend e-books, well OK, but there are reports in the papers that e-books have peaked in sales and that reports of the demise of the paper book are vastly exaggerated. My local library is very well used. Apart from a lot of book borrowers the computers are always busy, there's lot's of young mums with their children borrowing books and there's always a several people reading the newspapers and magazines.

There are also meeting rooms which are well used by local groups. It's one of the more visible and important local services provided by the council.

Your sort of on the right tracks but what im thinking of is the use of the building and where it is. Crystal Peaks library is in the shopping complex so is well used. Woodseats library looks like something Blue Peter built.

I do like the ideas of Cafes in Librarys . they have a Costa in Waterstones in Doncaster.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android