Can you get Vegetarian Haggis in Sheffield?

I notice "options" are something else you dislike

Au contraire I welcome 'opinions' and debate

SOME meat eaters like SOME veggie food

THIS Meat eater has NEVER had any vegetarian meal that he likes (as a main course)

Nice Burn's quote by the way

No I had Turkey and Pork for Christmas dinner. Wouldn't mind trying Wild Boar though. And I would like to try Goose but feel that as Duck gives me really bad heartburn that eating even fattier bird like Goose would give me worsererer heartburn

The Address to the Haggis says the following

Fair Faw yir honest sauncie face

great chieftain o the puddin race

Amang them a ye hiv yer grace

TRIPE MEAL and a

Not a veg mentioned there !!. I rest my case

Jim , I fear you may be missing a rare treat by the dissing of the McSweeny's veg haggis.

I admit that I am not the greatest fan of pretend meat. ( Veg sausages excepted for convenience and preferably as meat unlike as possible ) but the McSweeny's haggis is not pretending to be meat but a balance of flavoursome ingredients that combine with the neeps and tatties to give an enjoyable meal . You could argue that by definition haggis is meat and hence any vegi option should have a different label. Which is fair enough but problematic from a marketing point of view.

On my Burns nights I serve both meat and vegi and good time is had by all ( mind you the whisky may have something to do with it ) but I wouldn't expect to be served a vegi option if I was celebrating the great day elsewhere and would be content with the neeps and tatties.

Perhaps there is a song to be written about the changing of our traditions in a world of options. if you are not the man to do it -I'm sure you know some one who is :)

J

Ps -You know that this is all immaterial as the only difference between a normal and vegetarian haggis is that the vegi ones only eat grass and gorse before they are caught where as the others are part of scavenging packs that roam the highlands picking off stray cats !

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 23:52 ----------

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,

Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place,

Painch, tripe, or thairm :

Weel are ye wordy o'a grace

As lang's my arm.

Unless of course ,by lack of grace

The vegi crowd are in yer face

demanding-aye sic a disgrace

Nae meat fae tea

But lentils, beans all in place

An glutten free

(dialect a wee bit rusty and yes I know Scots don't eat 'tea' but I've been down here a long time )

Absolutley brilliant last verse. Can I pinch it ? At least you have gone past 'them' that think I am telling people what to do. I will have my tea and with your permission will use that last verse

I've got the advantage (or otherwise) of knowing you Jim.

Sure -you can use the verse as long as you make sure you say that it came from a vegi who was not being totally serious.

I'm sure that somewhere out there is vegi meal that you will really enjoy you just have to keep searching.

J

Ps I have got mine from Waitrose but I would be grateful if the hoards of vegi haggis fans would wait until I have bought mine as I would hate to miss out in the rush !

I would like to think it's an advantage to know me (thanks) and I always credit my sources (even if they are veggies). Anyway I thought Sainsbury's would be better for buying your Haggis as they don't allow riff raff in Waitrose