Armed police surrounding Beck school this afternoon??

Anyone know what was going on in Shiregreen this afternoon? Went to pick my kids up and there were loads of police cars parked around Beck school, police everywhere and people stood around talking about what was going on. My son (in year 6) says his class were told they were being locked in the school until it was safe to leave 'due to a serious police incident' even if that meant staying in after hometime. I overheard some parents saying the school had been surrounded by armed police!!

Stop listening to gossip.

that's helpful...thanks. I'm just wondering if anyone knew what was happening as there was no communication from the school at the time. I certainly didn't imagine the large police presence around the school at hometime and my younger sons teaching assistant said all she knew as that police had surrounded the school and they were told not to leave the school builing until it was safe to do so, but she didn't know what was going on.

I know outside HartleyBrook a car had hit the bus and few parents said Armed response also up that end..something to do with A house robbery .

But my friend said she was stopped on the way to Beck School and asked where they was going.

My sons said fair few police up Sheffield Lane Top as made way home from school...something gone off love eh ...We also had teachers on Gate hubby said. xx

When I came along Hartley Brook Rd I saw the car that had gone into the bus - it looked to me as if the car had been trying to get away from "someone" chasing it and had hit the bus with some considerable force. There was a large Police presence - much more than those who would have attended if it was just a bit of a crash.

I did hear that a shop on nether shire had been held at gunpoint by someone in a balaclava. Don't know why the police were at school though although my daughter did see this herself when she went to pick her daughter up

---------- Post added 19-12-2012 at 17:47 ----------

Also saw a large gathering of police in the large car park at the bottom of butterthwate road on the wood bottom this morning

It was something to do with some gang from Firth Park robbing a kid of his gold necklace at weekend,the kids dad had gone down to confront the gang and they came back up to Shiregreen where the boys dad had chased them in the car,after that,the gang went to the guys house on Beck road and smashed his car up.Then there was a one on one fight where a lad was laid out in the road when the armed police turned up,this is what i heard. The police did not surround the school,it was just further down the road,the headmaster told parents to use different exits to avoid the incident.Apparently,it was the caretaker of the school who's son was robbed.

I saw the bus/car collision outside Hartley Brook school too on my way to pick my kids up. There were a lot of police there and I wondered if it was connected to the police around school. I thought at the time it was strange that the car had obviously been on the wrong side of the road to hit the front of the bus the way it did. I'm hoping the school might send a letter home tomorrow with some info for parents to stop all the 'gossip' as I think everyone wants to know what was going on

Stop listening to gossip.

hear hear..speculation and hearsay.

hear hear..speculation and hearsay.

Why Gossip is interesting and usually the only way you find out whats really going on.

Don't matter what was going on need kids to be safe

---------- Post added 21-12-2012 at 16:47 ----------

Sure police was doing a good job

---------- Post added 21-12-2012 at 16:48 ----------

You should be used to seeing police round there

Why Gossip is interesting and usually the only way you find out whats really going on.

no, what people "think" is going on and a little bit extra!