Info wanted please: Beighton old church hall/lifestyle

Hi all :) I've been looking into the history of beighton just recently (mostly the church and church hall - now The Lifestyle Centre) and I discovered a photo on picture sheffield stating that the church hall (compleate with bell tower) was a school - Beighton Council School? and was built in 1892 and had an upstairs added in 1896 - this was obviously removed when it became a "hall" then reinstated when "Lifestyle" was created :) link: http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment%3BEQUALS%3Bs06512&pos=2&action=zoom so does anyone know the truth behind this building? or even that of the three cottages that stood there before it. Any info on this building would be great please i'd love to know it's history :D ta x

That building is the Church Hall on High Street, Beighton. Beighton Council School is on School Road the next turning to the right. The two cottages, now dwellings, as you turn right into School Road were originally school houses.

quite a co-incidence i was looking recently at the same pictures.

I emailed sheffield library archives for them to amend the text as it was wrong.

The building shown was and is the church hall on high st, it was used as a school at one time. But is not the building referred to in the text.

The beighton board school on school road was built in 1880 as a single storey and had the second floor added in 1896.

The steeple on the church hall was removed during alterations after the WW two and after it was no longer used as a school.

What was a hall doing with a steeple in the first place?

I could understand a school having one though

That building is the Church Hall on High Street, Beighton. Beighton Council School is on School Road the next turning to the right. The two cottages, now dwellings, as you turn right into School Road were originally school houses.

Is that still the infant school?

I would suggest the operative word is " Church " hall, steeples are usually asscoiated with churchs rather than schools. Therefore it seems logical for a church hall to have a steeple.

The building on High st was never built as a school, but as a church hall. It was used as a school for a time maybe as an overspill to beighton board school.

Certainly in the 1950's the infants used the ground floor part of the Beighton Board School on school rd, while the juniors and seniors used the upper and the wood huts.

Later Brookhouse School was built for the juniors, leaving the infants in the lower part of Beighton Board School and the seniors in the upper and the wood huts

Yes the old school on school rd is still used as the infants

The church hall on Church Lane or the Lifestyle Centre has not been a school to the knowledge of my family, who live in the cottages opposite and have done so for 50+ years.

In fact the chimney on the pictures in the background is their cottage.

It did have a rectory behind it which was demolished for the nursing home,which was to the left of the photo.

The church hall on Church Lane or the Lifestyle Centre has not been a school to the knowledge of my family, who live in the cottages opposite and have done so for 50+ years.

In fact the chimney on the pictures in the background is their cottage.

It did have a rectory behind it which was demolished for the nursing home,which was to the left of the photo.

If we take 50+ yrs as 59 that only takes it back to 1953, Brookhouse was built then.

It was used as part of Beighton school well prior to that time my older sister can remember going there then going across to school rd.

The only aspect the libraries got wrong was that the building shown said it was on school rd (which it was not)and referred to it as the same building as the actual building on school rd which it was not.

Yes the rectory was to the left of the building nearer the top of the hill and was taken down to build Haddon Court and a new rectory built behinf the church hall ( that is between the church hall and the church it self)