Trouble concerning my Christmas shifts

Phone in sick, you can't be sacked for a single isolated period of illness (self certified of course).

And look for a new job, as you don't want to carry on working for someone who behaves like this.

Imagine what it would be like for patients in Hospitals,and clients in Care Homes if other staff members listened to your advice.

Imagine what it would be like for patients in Hospitals,and clients in Care Homes if other staff members listened to your advice.

I'm not suggesting it as general advice am I. I'm suggesting it for this specific person and the specific problem they are dealing with.

that's true..but the op is not demanding anything, just asking to swap shifts with a person that has offered to swap her.....season of goodwill and all that...

It may be the season to be jolly but that doesn't mean peoples care should suffer. The OP has asked to switch but are they switching with a member of staff with adequate training in meds etc? We don't know and for that reason we don't know the full story.

like I said before, the OP could have booked the time off as leave but has not (for what ever reason) and so cannot demand to switch shifts. The process of shift switching is usually done at the discretion of management as it is not a right and if management has said no, that means no.

there are many factors that could mean the manager is unhappy with allowing the switch. maybe the OP has done this before? maybe the OP is not very good at time keeping and so this courtesy is not being afforded to them at the moment. There are a number of reasons that could be at play here.

The OP didn't suggest that she was going to swap with someone less skilled or junior to her, the implication was that she'd swap with someone who is functionally equivalent to her.

There was no implication what so ever so if you want to use that card, I can use the same argument.

There was no implication what so ever so if you want to use that card, I can use the same argument.

Basically, I'm prepared to take the OP at face value, and you're accusing them of not telling the entire story.

What advice we can give (and it's not much and not worth much) may as well be done on the assumption that they are simply telling the truth though, IMO.

There's no wonder people complain sometimes that they've posted something in good faith only to have people attack them and accuse them of misleading or sometimes of outright lying.

I disagree about the implication though. If there are staff willing then it's not a huge leap to assume that they are actually capable, otherwise why would they be willing to swap?

Contact a church, they'll get someone for you.

Brilliant idea. It's not as if there have been problems in the church with child abuse. On this side of the Atlantic we don't think that every problem can be soved by God or guns or both.

If I were the OP and I couldn't work Xmas Eve I'd tell the boss so and that I won't be in. Then see what the boss does. If she doesn't get cover then you could report her to the authorities for understaffing which would put the residents at risk.

It may be the season to be jolly but that doesn't mean peoples care should suffer. The OP has asked to switch but are they switching with a member of staff with adequate training in meds etc? We don't know and for that reason we don't know the full story.

like I said before, the OP could have booked the time off as leave but has not (for what ever reason) and so cannot demand to switch shifts. The process of shift switching is usually done at the discretion of management as it is not a right and if management has said no, that means no.

there are many factors that could mean the manager is unhappy with allowing the switch. maybe the OP has done this before? maybe the OP is not very good at time keeping and so this courtesy is not being afforded to them at the moment. There are a number of reasons that could be at play here.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one Wex, there may be other factors involved, but as Cyclone says, we have to take this at face value, if we dont take it at face value, then we dont have a starting point.....

It seems to me like the person giving out the rota has got a problem with the op, and is of the mindset, that "if i am going to have my Christmas spoilt, then i will spoil yours"....

I dont think that by doing such things, she is going to get the best out of her workforce, flexibility has to work both ways... if the op throws a sickie, then she has lost both ways...

Brilliant idea. It's not as if there have been problems in the church with child abuse. On this side of the Atlantic we don't think that every problem can be soved by God or guns or both.

I'm not talking about priests :loopy:, my church often asks the congregation for help for the needy, don't be so paranoid , relax :hihi: