Parkway Wholesale Market

JackK0

My only memory of the "old" market is the fish market. The rest of it is just a blur. The new market however is fresh in my memory from when it was built. I own a Greengrocers in Bradway so I'm there early every morning. Absolutely cracking place, I love it and doing my buying is one of the highlights of my job.

Parkway Wholesale Market has anyone got any memories about it? Do you still go? know anyone there?

I worked at the old parkway market for many years and at the old castlefolds wholesale fruit market before the parkway market was built and i have very fond memories of both markets and of many characters and lovable rogues ,stallholders,buyers,and barra lads,many of the older ones are no longer with us but the laughs we had bring back some happy memories.The work was very hard,six days and in all weathers when the sacks of potatoes came in 1cwt sacks and no forklift trucks in the early days. Back in the old castlefolds market we used to pull the barra loaded with fruit & veg through all the busy rush hour traffic ,up commercial st,broad st,sheaf st,dixon lane,setts,furnival rd,and if you were pulling up one of the steep roads one of the other passing barra lads would get behind and give you a shove up the hill-one thing about the market lads they were real mates and would always help each other and a lot of the lads met girls who were passing by on their way to work and after a bit of chatting up often started courting and in many cases lead to marriage.:love:

I was down old Parkway market almost every morning from 1966 to 1989 and and saw it go down from being full on all four sides possibly 50/70 ? fruit and veg traders down to about 30/40 in that period. I went in the new Parkway market a few weeks ago and it looks as though there are only about 4/5 left plus the flower traders. In winter it must have been the coldest place in Sheffield the wind use to whistle through those open back and front trading units like a whirlwind.

• 1 year later...

I worked there for about 11 years up to1975 for Hastings, with many fond memories. Good people to work for in those days, albeit some of us test their patience on few occasions. There was a great cross section of lads worked in the Parkway and you were never far away from a laugh or a punch up. My Dad worked all his life in the wholesale markets apart from his national service during the war period. Started his employment as dray-man I believe and his last place of employment was for Jack Waters (Old Jacks Nuts). Always wondered what happened to the old market photo which sat a the foot of the stairs to the cafe in the parkway, as the old fella was in that. Jack Waters was always quick to get the football out when it got quite at the end of the day. Caused many a distraction with regards to getting on with your job. Had many a Friday night/Saturday morning walking home from the nightclubs and getting up for work 5.30am thereafter.