Greensleeper band members

Osvig

Hello, I used to play guitar in a band called Greensleeper in the late 70's along with Simon Peace, Peter Billingsley (drums), Albert on vocals and Harry on bass. We played at Weston Park a few times and lots of local and not so local pubs, clubs and colleges. I am trying to make contact with members of the band and can't seem to track Harry down. I think his surname was Wilkinson and he lived at Crookes. He was a also a mechanic. Does anyone know how I can get in touch?

Also, does anyone have any recordings or photos?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there

I have been trying to track him down for years, yes you have the right name and he did live on Truswell Road Crookes, his wifes name was Lynn and she was from Nottingham, I live in Mansfield and I was involved playing with him from 74-77 when he lived in Nottingham and Sheffield and we lost touch when he left Crookes in 81. I thought I saw someone who looked like him at the Dale Watson gig at The Greystones this week so if you do find him let me know

Eddie

Hi Eddie, thanks for your reply. I will pass this info to the other band members and see if it edges us closer to getting in touch with Harry. All the rest of us met up a couple of weeks ago at the Shiny Sheff, where Ebony Moonbeam were playing. It was a real shame that Harry wasnt there. I am sure that we will make contact sooner or later. Thanks again.

Hi again and thanks for replying, do any of your local radio stations offer a free broadcast service for a missing mate? somebody must know who or where he is.

When we were playing together all he ever spoke about was Greensleeper and I got the chance to see you all play a gig in Nottingham at The Imperial Pub, after watching you I could see why he enjoyed Greensleeper so much, stop in touch

Eddie

• 2 years later...

Hello, I can tell you about Harry Wilkinson (Greensleeper, Shape of the Rain). Sadly Harry died on Boxing Day last year after a long illness. We were together for twenty two years and H used to to reminisce at length about all his years as a 'muso'. He talked about you many times, I feel I was there! However, I am not Lynne - his first wife. I am H's widow. I don't know why but today I googled 'greensleeper' and the Sheffield Forum posts came up! I have registered just to be able to give you answers to your questions. I saw that that the most recent post was 2013, I hope one of you still looks at Sheffield Forum and sees this. H carried on being in bands, etc. as as a professional musician thoughout his life. He was a solo artist for five or so years until he 'retired' from the business., I was his 'roadie'. We met in 1993, he had been playing with a C&W band in Spain, Dubai amongst other places.

Playing music was his passion but he felt that he could no longer make a living, and had always told himself that he would give it up if he was no longer having fun with it! We bought a narrowboat, he took up motorbiking and fishing again and he generally had a lovely life, he always made the best of every moment. We were soul mates, I was his carer until the end and I miss him so much.

Hi Bez66 - many thanks for your message on the forum. I am really sorry to hear that Harry has passed away. I will email the rest of the band to let them know. A couple of years ago, in 2013, I tried to get as many of the people that had been involved with Greensleeper together and it was amazing to see so many of us in one place at the same time. We had a lovely evening (and I had a sore head the next morning). We would have loved it if Harry could have joined us. I have some great photos of Harry and the band playing live if you dont have them already. I cant seem to upload theme here on the forum but if you would like them email me: rsingl2000@aol.com all the best.

Hello Osvig

I am so happy that you saw my reply! I thought it might have been too long since the last posting.

I will e mail you, I would love to have photographs of Harry from the times he was with you all. The only pictures he had when I met him were of the time he was playing in Spain, and on a couple of cruise ships. I have other photos too but I'm not clever with uploading etc. I can get my brother to give me a crash course so I will be able to e mail some to you.

Harry and Lynne had two children - a boy and a girl, they each have two children. They don't live in Sheffield but come up to see me when they can They each have one of his guitars now and might learn to play them.

I am looking forward to getting your e mail reply and photos......

Bez99