Remembrance Sunday - 11 November 2012

Scotsld

I watched on the tv, through many tears, as I always do. They read out the letter a young soldier had written to his family (as they have to before going on deployment) my God I just lost it. I am the same every year, and the older I get the more emotional I am. Powerful stuff.

"Powerful stuff" it was, and such a fitting tribute to those who sacrificed their lives for us.That letter was so poignant!

I also watched the Festival of Remembrance Concert,it was so moving.

I watched the Royal British Legion festival of remembrance and the service from the Cenotaph in Whitehall. I used to watch both with my dad but now it is my grandson who watched it with me. He was as good as gold through both but full of questions and I hope he has gained a sense of what it is all about.

It gave me a chance to explain to him just how much we have to be thankful for both as a family and as a nation. He told me he had always thought it was all about 'old men' so he was shocked to realise that the ones we honour never lived to be old but died in the prime of their youth.

I watched on the tv, through many tears, as I always do. They read out the letter a young soldier had written to his family (as they have to before going on deployment) my God I just lost it. I am the same every year, and the older I get the more emotional I am. Powerful stuff.

I was exactly the same - the letter to his family made me weep

My family and I went to Barkers Pool and once again, were pleased to see such a good turn out.

I would guess that 75% of the crowd can't actually see in detail what is going on and rely on the the canon fire to mark the beginning and end of the two minutes silence. Hence, todays two minutes, wasn't as silent as it usually is. Not through lack of respect, just confusion.

i suspect some fool in the Health and Safety Brigade was involved.

I went to the yorks an lancs ( sheffield pals ) memorial in weston park , in my opinion a better experience because its a smaller one therefore more personal and easier to get a good view and hear whats being said and it was very good as usual . Respect to everybody who put themselves out and went to a service , whichever one it was .

My o.h went to the one in Clifton Park, Rotherham today and it went very well.

It's a shame that yesterday there were Muslims in the town centre trying to convince people not to turn up. :(

Imo, they ought to be as grateful as anyone for the courage of our veterans in the second world war because if Hitler HAD won, I don't think there's be many Muslims in Europe these days............... :mad:

At a risk of sounding racist (which i am NOT)

There was not ONE asian at barkerpool today, why is that?

Do the Muslim community feel threatened by this?

Yes there was - both on parade (cadets) and a group of 5 young men next to me near Mothercare - wearing poppies too.

Amazed that you could see everyone in the crowd -I certainly couldn't see who was standing near the old NUM building for instance nor who was near to the little gardens.

Perhaps seeing your son there blinkered you to others also parading.

Edited by pottedplant