Boss levels in video games - what's the point?

I know I'm not alone in finding boss levels in games a pointless, tedious interruption to the flow of action and storyline. What I don't know is why they exist and why games companies insist on including them in some games. I'm guessing they appeared in early arcade games and are still included as some kind of nod to the history of the genre. I can see how they would fit in an arcade game but when a developer spends so much time on the feel, design and plot of a game, why detract from that by shoving a boss in?

time to give the control pad to my hubby. Bosses annoy me too.

They do make sense in some games though. Where would the Batman games be without the boss levels?

Boss levels in video games - what's the point?
To quote the great Zero Punctuation, boss levels are supposed to be an examination of all the skills and game mechanics you have learned up to that point.

I have to agree with this I don't get to play games as much as I used to but am currently enjoying the fantastic Far Cry 3, a great realistic free flowing game, then all of a sudden up pops the Ink Monster "boss" and I've come to a frustrating and shuddering halt, totally spoilt my enjoyment and I'm having to force myself to go through the tedium of re-tries to continue.

TeaFan, maybe you should give some examples of the boss fights you didn't like. Many games have amazing boss fights, like Resident Evil 4 and Bayonetta. They're a special challenge and add diversity to the gameplay.

top4718, if you just want to be able to walk straight through a game then you must enjoy them in a different way to me. I recommend you try Kirby's Epic Yarn ;)

TeaFan, maybe you should give some examples of the boss fights you didn't like. Many games have amazing boss fights, like Resident Evil 4 and Bayonetta. They're a special challenge and add diversity to the gameplay.

top4718, if you just want to be able to walk straight through a game then you must enjoy them in a different way to me. I recommend you try Kirby's Epic Yarn ;)

I dont expect to be able to walk through a game but much prefer the general play where (in Far Cry 3 for instance) you have to be quite tactical in your approach to certain scenarios, the boss levels have one outcome and one mode of defeat that is frustrating and unnecessary.

Fair play. I must just like boss fights. Even the frustrating ones, I like the challenge and it's satisfying when you finally beat them.

Always loved seeing the designs of big boss monsters as well, to me that's part of the reward for getting to the end of a level.

Fair play. I must just like boss fights. Even the frustrating ones, I like the challenge and it's satisfying when you finally beat them.

Always loved seeing the designs of big boss monsters as well, to me that's part of the reward for getting to the end of a level.

The one is Far Cry is a good one but is bloody frustrating to defeat.

It's been the staple of fantasy since fantasy began.

You work your way through all the minions, side bosses and assorted henchmen only to face the boss in the final confrontation.

Personally, I think it's a great concept, but it's invariably let down by overly hard or frustrating bosses that require a specific irritating tactic to defeat.

I usually love boss fights just for the sheer challenge of them, the only ones I really have issues with are the ones with glowing weakpoints or something of that sort. That really seems to take the point out of them. :/