Wanted : labrador puppy

iamwoody

usually worse ;)

You should expect to find a good breeder, put your name down, and wait for the breeder to have enough homes lined up before a litter is produced

If you're able to walk in and pick a dog up on the day, it's unlikely that they're 'reputable'

Don't forget with labs you really should be asking about hip scores. Dodgy hips can wind up resulting in expensive vet bills

Yes, do your research on hip score and eye testing in Labradors - it is very, very important. Both parents should be tested and make sure that the scores are good. Some people advertise that they are tested but the scores are not always satisfactory.

You could contact the Midland Labrador Retriever Club who should be able to help you.

There are a lot of Lab puppies about so please get as much (good) advice as you can before purchasing. They are very, very demanding and can be destructive. They do need training so be prepared for a lot of hard work.

Did you contact Puppy Register Co-ordinator on the link that I gave you above?

The specific page is here. All breed club members have to abide by rules including breeding only from Labradors that have a) had all the health screening tests done and b) that those test results are satisfactory.

If you would like to consider rescue, check out Labrador Welfare. I understand that only fairly recently they had a very young puppy in as the owner couldn't cope, didn't have time or whatever.

There are some black labrador pups for sale on face book in the pets

section.https://www.facebook.com/groups/424581280907383/

Be very careful buying from existing litters rather than from a waiting list

people who produce litters then find buyers are generally more interested in cash in their pocket rather than the health and welfare of the dogs they are producing

Make sure you do your homework, and don't be taken in by any 'papers' that aren't KC ones - they're known scams :thumbsup:

iamwoody - are you expecting someone on here to offer you a Lab puppy? I only ask because there are 25 pages of them on pets4homes alone. I have just clicked on a few and none of them made any mention of hip/eye scores in dam and sire. Sadly, on the last page someone wants to part with their 5 month old bitch puppy. This is all too common when the newness wears off, pup becomes bigger, more destructive and hard work.

I'm afraid that if you want to acquire a quality Labrador pup you will have to do the homework yourself. As well as the link that I provided you might want to check out the Kennel Club list of accredited breeders. I am quite sure that you will be able to acquire a good pup via the KC puppy finder.