Turkey and Syria : an old fashioned proxy war ?

They've been exchanging artillery fire and now turkey are nabbing jets that may or may not have military equipment on, which will anoy the Russians and please the west. If this escalates I'm sure turkey will be bank rolled by the US etc. Is this a better way for the major powers to wade in ?

Cooo that's a tricky one. Generally, it seems the major powers are reluctant to get sucked into any middle east dispute, as they always seem to end up being the demons. my view is just let them sort it out between themselves. Any 'war' is awful, and there are always more losers than winners!...When it's all over, nothing much is very different!

They've been exchanging artillery fire and now turkey are nabbing jets that may or may not have military equipment on, which will anoy the Russians and please the west. If this escalates I'm sure turkey will be bank rolled by the US etc. Is this a better way for the major powers to wade in ?

Major power is already there

We just have cowards who dare not do anything

Major power is already there

We just have cowards who dare not do anything

So, just to clarify, you want us ie NATO and/or the UN to start military action in syria ? Are you happy to join the army and take your chances out there or are you leaving it for other people ?

If supplying turkey with arms and equipment does the job, let's do that. I'm tired of seeing uk servicemen and women coming back dead or missing limbs for a populace who generally don't want us there.

Turkey is and has been a member nation of NATO for many decades. Any action or policy carried out in support of Turkey will be in accordance with that set down in the agreement

War is crap and pointless.

Its a waste of money and a waste of lives.

There is no good way to wage it.

the Turkish military would quickly emerge the winner in the unlikely event of a full-on escalation. The Syrians are one those militaries that are rather better at oppressing their own people than fighting other armies that have got the same kind of weapons they have.

the Turkish military would quickly emerge the winner in the unlikely event of a full-on escalation. The Syrians are one those militaries that are rather better at oppressing their own people than fighting other armies that have got the same kind of weapons they have.

As was proved in their wars against the Israelis and I dont think Turkey would need any boots on the ground help from their NATO partners either