Thoughts on Jewel indian resturant in carbrook

Well, you'd need to tell us why it wasn't the best experience mate. A bit sparse on infomration aren't you? Did you really go there, or are you a competitior that is trying to do them down on here? Do tell us more about it.

I've been a few times - but not recently.

I'd be interested to know what else you have to say about it?

Well, you'd need to tell us why it wasn't the best experience mate. A bit sparse on infomration aren't you? Did you really go there, or are you a competitior that is trying to do them down on here? Do tell us more about it.

I've been a few times - but not recently.

I'd be interested to know what else you have to say about it?

Yor're about as cynical as me.

I often wonder when an individual slaughters a restaurant whether they're competition trying to run it down.

The same also applies when someone suddenly appears out of the blue to claim how wonderful a new restaurant is.

To be fair to the OP, he/she does have over 1,000 posts to his/her name, suggesting at least that they've not joined SF just to slag off the competition.

I've never been, but the menu does look quite interesting.

Regards

Doom

I've been a couple of times - so it must have been ok once or I'd have never gone back.

The menu is interesting - it's a bit different to your average Indian place - which probably means that a lot of folks won't like it. If you are just wanting onion bhaji's, followed by a vindaloo, chicken tikka masala or bhuna, with chips, then look...don't bother. You won't like it any better than your usual place.

I thought it was...what can I say? a bit above average. Like a kind of 7 out of 10. It's mighty depressing inside with this really gloomy black wallpaper and the place lacks atmosphere. That's one of the biggest drawbacks about it.

I can't remember what curry we ordered now but I remember it being a bit unusual - like a very smoky taste to it - which was a bit odd. The starters were good and overall it was a decent meal.

But does it compare to Akbar's for example? Not for me/us it doesn't. Which is why we've not ventured back since. I wouldn't rule it out if I was in the area, but it's not so far from there down to Akbar's and so it's no competition really.

I've been a couple of times - so it must have been ok once or I'd have never gone back.

The menu is interesting - it's a bit different to your average Indian place - which probably means that a lot of folks won't like it. If you are just wanting onion bhaji's, followed by a vindaloo, chicken tikka masala or bhuna, with chips, then look...don't bother. You won't like it any better than your usual place.

I thought it was...what can I say? a bit above average. Like a kind of 7 out of 10. It's mighty depressing inside with this really gloomy black wallpaper and the place lacks atmosphere. That's one of the biggest drawbacks about it.

I can't remember what curry we ordered now but I remember it being a bit unusual - like a very smoky taste to it - which was a bit odd. The starters were good and overall it was a decent meal.

But does it compare to Akbar's for example? Not for me/us it doesn't. Which is why we've not ventured back since. I wouldn't rule it out if I was in the area, but it's not so far from there down to Akbar's and so it's no competition really.

Hi Tup not tried the Jewel, but have been in the Akbar's once that you are on about. I found it was packed; & talk about dark, we had to ask for a torch to see the menu (not kidding either).

Speaking personally I'll stick to the Ko Hi Noor on Handsworth :)

Hi Tup not tried the Jewel, but have been in the Akbar's once that you are on about. I found it was packed; & talk about dark, we had to ask for a torch to see the menu (not kidding either).

Speaking personally I'll stick to the Ko Hi Noor on Handsworth :)

yes, it is always packed in Akbars, any night of the week and at any time from opening hours onwards. There's usually a guy outside directing people where to park, it gets that busy. Which kind of tells you something.

I agree with you though, it's very dark inside and whilst a bit of subdued lighting can add to the atmosphere of a place, I think it's just a bit too dark for its own good.

But, do as I do and wear a miner's helmet so you can find your way around and read the menu and you should be ok!:)

Again, depends what your taste is in Indian food. If you're willing to try new things then there are plenty of them on the menu at Akbar's. The tandoori starters are my favourite there. Especially the fish, but also the lamb chops, chicken tikka (dry - not chicken tikka masala!) - no-one does that better and very few anywhere near as good. As with the curries - the Akbar e balti, with chicken, lamb and mushrooms, is delightful - so is the Roshan Lal - a rich spicy lamb curry. And the naan bread the size of a small table brought straight from the oven, hanging on a spike for you to tear off at the table.

You just don't get that kind of quality in many places. But, as I've said, it's not appreciated by everyone and each to their own.

The thing that should please most folks on here is it isn't expensive. It's just a trek to get there unless you live out Rotherham or Meadowhall area.

Jewel is one of my favourite Indian restaurants in Sheffield. The quality of the food and service is really good, but yes, this is probably reflected in the price. I would't say it is expensive, but it is not the cheapest around.

Out of the Indian restaurants that I eat at regularly (Jewel / Aagrah / Butlers / 7 Spices / Chaman / Akbars), I would say this is up there with the best.

Accepted, it is not the best location, but if you are in the area and want a nice meal, give it a try. Do not try if you are drunk with the lads and fancy a cheap curry.

Strangely enough I've never been to Akbar's in Rotherham due to it's location, but I've been to the one in York 4 or 5 times and really enjoyed the meals.

If the Rotherham ones the same, then the food isn't bland like you get at some places, but has a very pleasant kick. I certainly think it's better than Jinnah's, although probably slightly more expensive.

If I still hung around the arena after ice hockey then I'd give Jewell a try, but these days I tend to head back into town for a final beer and then something to eat in the city centre.

Regards

Doom