The young are giving less to charity these days.

There is a lot of unemployment and the cost of living have increased.

I think that young people do give more to charity than they used to, vintage clothes from charity shops are more fashionable, also as young people have less money some might shop in charity shops more often. I have friends who regularly buy big issues.

I wonder whether community work and volunteering have increased with younger people, due to attempting to increase career prospects and the Duke of Edinburgh scheme.

Then again there are some young people who don't appear to care about anything other than drinking, shouting, littering and breaking council property... these people will never contribute anything to society.. let alone to charity

Personal Charitable Donation UK

2004/5 £7.8 billion

2005/6 £9.4 billion

2006/7 £9.3 billion

2007/8 £10.6 billion

2008/9 £9.8 billion

2009/10 £10.6 billion

20010/11 £11.0 billion

Also between 2005 and 2011 the percentage of donation specifying gift aid rose from 32% to 42% further increasing charities incomes.

I think the biggest problem is how charities collect donations. In the past it was collection tins and events. Now its the chuggers that give charities a bad name. I feel less inclined to give to charity these days because of the pressure your under from the people in the town centre paid £7.00 per hour to collect bank details from you.

When you see what the CEO's of these charities are earning, it puts people off donating.

Some charities seem to be just another money making opportunity for the rich, and they've given all charities a bad name.