Yamaha F310 acoustic guitar

warrior8

They're supposed to be very good for the money but my vote for a beginner's acoustic would be a Vintage V300. I have a Martin OM 1 and the vintage would be an excellent substitute even though it's 1/6 the price. Best advice is play before you buy as playability is the most important thing. You could save twenty quid buying online but you may have to spend 35 on a setup.

they're outstanding for the price -good action, very nice gibsony necks, decent complex sound, goo volume and balance - I have expensive tastesin guitars, but my mates got one of these and I actually enjoy playing it - I guess the quality is variable at this price range, but I'd go for it

They're supposed to be very good for the money but my vote for a beginner's acoustic would be a Vintage V300. I have a Martin OM 1 and the vintage would be an excellent substitute even though it's 1/6 the price. Best advice is play before you buy as playability is the most important thing. You could save twenty quid buying online but you may have to spend 35 on a setup.

Thanks for the advice.

Can I ask what it is about the Vintage V300 that makes you recommend it over the Yamaha F310?

I haven't played the Yamaha but the Vintage has great playability, nice tone, is a little smaller, suiting finger picking and acoustic blues. I'd definitely be happy to gig one, they come in electro acoustic versions too, as does the Yamaha.

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a look at the Vintage V300 online - it also gets very good reviews and was voted best acoustic guitar under £1,000 by Guitar Magazine.

How much difference does a solid spruce top make?

The Vintage V300 is approx £40 more than the Yamaha F310 (nearly 50% more) and I've noticed that a number of the reviews say that the action is too high and would need looking at by a luthier. I'm not sure how much this would cost and whether I'd still be better with the Vintage V300?

I've been trying to locate a shop which sells the Vintage V300 so I can go and see it in person but so far I haven't managed to find one.

For a first guitar, especially acoustic, the playability is the most important consideration - a high action will be uncomfortable, difficult to play and will not sound good as beginners often struggle to apply enough finger pressure to play cleanly with a high action. On an acoustic this can be adjusted by taking some height off the saddle, but this is a skilled job, best left to someone experienced. The guy at Wavelength charged me 35 quid to set up my Lag including a fret dress which I thought was good value. A new guitar shouldn't need a fret dress so you could always try buying a saddle blank for a couple of quid and filing it down yourself if you're fairly confident with DIY. If you mess it up just put the old saddle back on.

An acoustic guitar with a solid top will improve with age, the sound becoming more open. Guitars with a ply top will generally stay the same. I tried a V300 in Realtime in Chesterfield, it might be worth calling them or Wavelength.