First time abroad with children - recommendations?

I heard Salou is a really good family destination, close to Barcelona too.

Tho it's so,e years since I went, it is great in Salou, you can get the train to Barcelona:)

The lakes in Italy are great in the summer. Hot, but you get a nice breeze from the mountains. We went to a Eurocamp a couple of years ago with my friends and their two children who were 4 and 10 at the time. The flight was quick, the transfer was only 30 minutes. Would definitely recommend.

We also went to Malta was the same family - a lot hotter, but easily remedied with a dip in the pool. The flights again were quick, direct and no hassle. I think as long as you don't build flying up for your daughter as something that is a big dangerous thing, she will be ok. (And this comes from someone who has to take a diazepam before a flight!). Make sure she has plenty of quiet activities for the flight, as boredom can be the worst thing! Enjoy your holiday :)

Thank you all for the recommendations. :)

She doesn't have a problem travelling, we've just done a drive to Ireland and back, so the airport run isn't really an issue.

It's just a family holiday, bit of sight seeing and plenty of time by the pool (hopefully). But she does catch the sun quite easily being fair skinned which is the reason for asking as she isn't used to the heat.

I will check out some of the suggestions!

The Balearics have shorter flights - approx 2.5 hrs - Menorca is my favorite of them - much less commercial than the others , quite low key but still as some sightseeing opportunities (there are caves in the South and a couple of towns - the old capital and the new, a mountain with a monastry at the top.....)

Edited by pottedplant

Menorca is fantastic for a chilled out holiday. We have been twice, both times towards the end of September and the temperature was mid 20's both times. We always stay in a villa. Its a lot cheaper than you think. We normally pay between £500 and £700 for a week and we are right on the beach. Cala n Bosch is fantastic and has a great marina surrounded by nice little resteraunts and cafes. My kids are 11 and 8 now and they loved it. You get your own private pool so there is no worrying about getting a good spot. The people we usually book through are Villaparade, and the customer service is excellent.

take all the meds with you and make sure you have insurance, other wise things can get hairey

The Balearics have shorter flights - approx 2.5 hrs - Menorca is my favorite of them - much less commercial than the others , quite low key but still as some sightseeing opportunities (there are caves in the South and a couple of towns - the old capital and the new, a mountain with a monastry at the top.....)

Agree,Menorca and some quiter resorts in Majorca have all the fun but no night clubs so that tends to keep the 18/30s ect away.Would strongly reccomend a look :)

Benidorm is great for kids because there's loads for them to do

Guest sibon

It depends upon what you want. If you don't fancy the Med, may I suggest France.

Get in your car and drive to the west coast and camp. Cheap, the kids will love it and great weather if you get far enough south. The food and wine aren't too shabby either.

I would also recommend Salou as a first trip. It's close to the sirport, and there is plenty to do. When my kids were younger, we would stay here http://www.sanguli.es/en/index_html?set_language=en . IMO, it is so much better for kids than a hotel, space to play etc. It is one of Europes best holiday parks. There are a few companies that have accommodation here inc Thomson. Budget airlines fly in to nearby Reus too.