Nasty biting insects in the area! Have you been nibbled on?

I sent my brother to the walk in centre last weekend as he had the largest bite/blister on his leg. About 1,1/2 inch long & 1 inch wide. We were unsure what is what hence the walk in centre.

They told him it was insect bite as they could see the puncture marks!

As for the recomendation of the skin so soft by Avon i agree. I have actually used abroad as a moisturiser and a repelent in one and it worked. It does have to be the dry oil spray woodland fresh scent though.

Eat loads and loads and loads of garlic. Spray your skin with 'Avon Skin-So-Soft'.

These creatures are meat-eaters - they are not 'Reggie the Veggie'and they don't eat garlic or other vegetables.

if you smell like meat, you're food. If you smell like a plant - even a stinky plant - you're inedible.

I used to live in Michigan. the State Bird in Michigan is the mosquito. - They've got loads and they're voracious.

A friend told me about 'Skin-so-soft', offered to give me $10 for every bite, we both put it on and went outside at dusk (when the little buggers are at their worst.)

I was amazed. I was in a cloud of mozzies and wasn't bitten once. He kept his money and I stopped spending money on expensive (and toxic) 'Deep Woods Off'

Thanks for the advice.

I read somewhere that they are also attracted to Carbon Dioxide which is of course what mammals exhale. Short of stopping breathing, there's not a lot we can do about that one!

I also think one of the little devils bit the dog as yesterday he was yelping and furiously scratching his ear and shaking his head. It was quite alarming as there was nothing we could do to calm him down. Eventually he did settle down and I am pleased to say that he seems fine this morning.

Yep, they seem to be on the increase. I had 6 bites in one night (two on one leg, two on my elbow, one on my back and one on my wrist) and they all swelled up so badly that I've resembled the the elephant man. Seriously freaky. I couldn't make out any of the bones in my wrist and my elbow swelled OUTWARDS and across the skin to approx 1.5 inches.

I am allergic to mosquito bites, but even ones I've had jungle trekking (they are the size of small planes in the jungle) haven't swelled or itched this much.

The Boots pharmacist told me that she's seen an awful lot like this, so much so that they had run out of cream.

I wonder how the mosquitoes we are getting differ from those overseas and why they seem to be causing such extreme reactions?

Three or four weeks ago I got bitten on the back of my hand near the base of my thumb and thought nothing of it, bar a bit of an itch. Overnight my hand swelled up so much I couldn't move any of my fingers and I had to go to the hospital. Three days with my arm in a sling, a monster blister an inch across and half-and inch deep and anti-histamine for a fortnight. I was lucky it didn't get infected apparently as it could have permanently affected the movement in my hand and arm. It's left a bright pink scar.

A horsefly, they reckoned. More like a horse, if you ask me.

Three or four weeks ago I got bitten on the back of my hand near the base of my thumb and thought nothing of it, bar a bit of an itch. Overnight my hand swelled up so much I couldn't move any of my fingers and I had to go to the hospital. Three days with my arm in a sling, a monster blister an inch across and half-and inch deep and anti-histamine for a fortnight. I was lucky it didn't get infected apparently as it could have permanently affected the movement in my hand and arm. It's left a bright pink scar.

A horsefly, they reckoned. More like a horse, if you ask me.

Horsefly bites are very nasty. I'm dealing with one right now that's been there for days. Again, Tea Tree Oil relieves the itching.

Yep, they seem to be on the increase. I had 6 bites in one night (two on one leg, two on my elbow, one on my back and one on my wrist) and they all swelled up so badly that I've resembled the the elephant man. Seriously freaky. I couldn't make out any of the bones in my wrist and my elbow swelled OUTWARDS and across the skin to approx 1.5 inches.

I am allergic to mosquito bites, but even ones I've had jungle trekking (they are the size of small planes in the jungle) haven't swelled or itched this much.

The Boots pharmacist told me that she's seen an awful lot like this, so much so that they had run out of cream.

I wonder how the mosquitoes we are getting differ from those overseas and why they seem to be causing such extreme reactions?

Likely different species. But, you build up short term immunity to them. At the start of the mosquito season (June here), I react badly - every year. Then, as the summer wears on, they don't affect me as badly. Until another species takes to the wing then it starts over again.

please dont take offence to this but could they be flea bites as the lower legs are usually wherefleas bite you :huh:

Definitely, my lovely little black and white kitten bought fleas in, cost me about £100 in the end! Spot-on from here onwards.... Bites on my legs from about halfway down my shins to my feet.... Drove me crackers, but not the same as the huge, glowing bites my daughter and wife have. Totally different type of nasty caused these.

Asain Tiger Mosquitoes have apparantly been moving in on us Brits this year. Unlike our Mozzies, they like to bite you anytime of the day & are very stealthy at biting you. So you get bit before you even realise it! They also carry all sorts of nasty diseases.

Did the bite turn you into a chav txter?

and you have not got nothing better to do than call people very sad get a grip

My bites kept me up all last night and have come up huge again, they tend to go down and stop itching for a few days then all flare back up. Just gave in and rang the doctor!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Asain Tiger Mosquitoes have apparantly been moving in on us Brits this year. Unlike our Mozzies, they like to bite you anytime of the day & are very stealthy at biting you. So you get bit before you even realise it! They also carry all sorts of nasty diseases.

Hey Leah, might be worth mentioning spats info! Doc will probably prescribe an antihistamine of some sort. Hope you're sorted soon! :)

Im starting to feel pretty unwell with these now! I can feel them throbbing and they're sort of flashing red and white :gag: Health visitor came to see the kids earlier and said they're infected and Doctors receptionist said they're probably horse fly bites, very painful and easily infected due to them cutting rather than piercing the skin!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android