Excel Parking (Staples) ....Rant....Rant

Is it not about time the government did something about these rip off merchants!

I parked my car at Staples (Nov 21st) - Staples, the great office Superstore did not have what I needed - one item simply being a small pack of A4 white envelopes! So off I trudge up town in search of what the great office superstore can't supply - I return to my vehicle to find a ticket placed on my vehicle for a £40 fine - precisely five minutes over the hour.

OK my fault you may say - BUT the attendant sits in his car and keys in the vehicles as they enter NOT when they have parked. My ticket says if I wish to appeal then I have to do so within seven days SO precisely one hour later I appeal by email and fax as it states on the ticket. No response until today - the £40 fine has now increased to £100. They had ample time to respond to me within the 7 day period when I could have considered their response and as to whether pay the £40.

They also now threaten me with court - in the inerests of justice I think I will now see them in court!

Write back and tell them under article 6.1 Human Rights Act 1998 and Article 1 Protocol 1 protection of property you are entitled to a fair hearing to ensure you have not had property (in this case the sum of your fine) incorrectly charged and as they failed to address matters in a manner that could have allowed you to take appropriate steps within the correct timeframe their failure to act with due diligence has put you at a material disadvantage and caused you to incur further hardship. you want the matter investigated because they have failed to act reasonably.

Excel Parking have upset quite a few people over the years.

A google search brings up all kinds of cases and articles, but not the particular one I had in mind :)

Try the responses in this thread of which I seem to be the last contributor in November last year.

I don’t see why you are appealing. It’s your fault as you shouldn't be using staples car park unless you intend to shop at staples (or the other shops that are in the same unit, mothercare being one I think).

I’m sure if you look there will be a sign stating the car park is for the use of Staples patrons only and there will also be a time limit. Time limits are used to stop people from driving to the car park, buying the cheapest thing they have and then walking off and spending 4 hours in town doing their shopping.

I don’t condone the security/ticketing company for not replying but if you but if you did not send your complaint through registered post, they can simple say they never got it. Likewise for a fax.

You should accept you where wrong, bit the bullet and offer to pay the £40 fine.

Originally posted by serapis

I don’t see why you are appealing. It’s your fault as you shouldn't be using staples car park unless you intend to shop at staples (or the other shops that are in the same unit, mothercare being one I think).

I’m sure if you look there will be a sign stating the car park is for the use of Staples patrons only and there will also be a time limit. Time limits are used to stop people from driving to the car park, buying the cheapest thing they have and then walking off and spending 4 hours in town doing their shopping.

I don’t condone the security/ticketing company for not replying but if you but if you did not send your complaint through registered post, they can simple say they never got it. Likewise for a fax.

You should accept you where wrong, bit the bullet and offer to pay the £40 fine.

If you read my post correctly I DID intend using Staples - I appealed by fax and post as stated on the ticket - AND I am simply stating that it is actually debatable whether I was in fact five minutes late - reg numbers should be taken down when vehicles are actually parked NOT as they enter the car park - if they state you should appeal within 7 days then they should reply within that time - there is no doubt that they did in fact receive the appeal.

BY THE WAY - are you that lazy bloke that sits in his car noting down the reg numbers as they come in??????

I don’t condone the security/ticketing company for not replying but if you but if you did not send your complaint through registered post, they can simple say they never got it.

They cant really say that in this case because they have responded to it. It sounds like they dragged their feet in order to simply bump up the fine.

There was another similar thread to this a while ago about imposing parking fines on private property. It may be worth your while searching for it, it may have some useful info on it. Not sure how they are going to take the matter any further if they only have your reg no. Didnt think they had the right to have access to your other details.

Originally posted by wendygs

Write back and tell them under article 6.1 Human Rights Act 1998 and Article 1 Protocol 1 protection of property you are entitled to a fair hearing to ensure you have not had property (in this case the sum of your fine) incorrectly charged and as they failed to address matters in a manner that could have allowed you to take appropriate steps within the correct timeframe their failure to act with due diligence has put you at a material disadvantage and caused you to incur further hardship. you want the matter investigated because they have failed to act reasonably.

Thank you for your very useful post - I intend to do this - the way that I see it is, if they had responded and turned down my appeal, I would have had the option of considering whether to pay - now because they have bumped it to £100, if they do not back down then I may as well risk the court fee and go the whole way

I seem to remember hearing at some point in the past that they dont actually have any right to impose a fine at all, and they cant make you pay for it.

Take them to court - i would!

Not much help, but does it actually state on the ticket that after a certain number of days they'll bump it up? If not, I'm sure they can't do it.

Originally posted by sally_sheff

If you read my post correctly I DID intend using Staples - I appealed by fax and post as stated on the ticket - AND I am simply stating that it is actually debatable whether I was in fact five minutes late - reg numbers should be taken down when vehicles are actually parked NOT as they enter the car park - if they state you should appeal within 7 days then they should reply within that time - there is no doubt that they did in fact receive the appeal.

BY THE WAY - are you that lazy bloke that sits in his car noting down the reg numbers as they come in??????

First of all I am not the guy who takes down the numbers.

Right, as you said you intended to use staples but they did not have what you where looking for. At this point you should have left the car park as the spaces are provided for Staples patrons only.

You had completed your shopping at Staples had you not? That car park is not there for your convenience!

You've been caught, big deal, learn from it and accept you paid the price.

I believe that the car park next to Mothercare (at the bottom of the moor) is for anyone to use. You don't need to use the shops there. The only restriction is that it is one hour parking only.

I've just edited this as I remembered that I asked the car parking guy this and he confirmed it...!!!

First of all I am not the guy who takes down the numbers.

Hmmmm........judging by your rant, probably the guy who owns Excel Parking!