Adding a courtesy door from kitchen to the garage

Hi, has anyone added a courtesy door from their house into the garage? any advice or idea of costs for doing this?

Hi, has anyone added a courtesy door from their house into the garage? any advice or idea of costs for doing this?

I have a door from garage to house and would not do without it . Get a quote from reputable builder you cannot price a job without looking at it but probably about a £1000 Dont forget it has to be a fire door and probably comes under building regulations

Thanks :) did you put your door in Or was it already there?

Thanks :) did you put your door in Or was it already there?

IT was already in but i used to be a builder so it would have been no problem Its not a hard job suitable for a briclayer whoe has a mate as a joiner You buy the door frame ready made and get the Fire door to suit whilst you at the merchants. Are you any good at D I Y

We have one from the kitchen into the integral garage. It was put in when we had the garage built many years ago. It was subject to building regulations and had to be a fire door. We even had to put a 'Fire Door' sign on it IIRC. Anyway. it's been great especially in bad weather because we drive the car straight into the garage and don't get wet. We have made the back of the garage into a sort of utility area - washing machine/tumble dryer/gas boiler. This would not have been possible were it not for the access.

IT was already in but i used to be a builder so it would have been no problem Its not a hard job suitable for a briclayer whoe has a mate as a joiner You buy the door frame ready made and get the Fire door to suit whilst you at the merchants. Are you any good at D I Y

Thanks for the reassurance. Hubby is not really into DIY unfortunately :( So a builder it must be ;)

We have one from the kitchen into the integral garage. It was put in when we had the garage built many years ago. It was subject to building regulations and had to be a fire door. We even had to put a 'Fire Door' sign on it IIRC. Anyway. it's been great especially in bad weather because we drive the car straight into the garage and don't get wet. We have made the back of the garage into a sort of utility area - washing machine/tumble dryer/gas boiler. This would not have been possible were it not for the access.

That's what I want it for - most families have more than one fridge/freezer these days and to have a washer/dryer out of the kitchen would be great.

Thanks for the reassurance. Hubby is not really into DIY unfortunately So a builder it must be

Yes; Local Planning Authorities insist on a fire-break door [1 hour, I think].

That's what I want it for - most families have more than one fridge/freezer these days and to have a washer/dryer out of the kitchen would be great.

NB: anyone keeping a deep-freezer outside the house (e.g. in garage/shed) or in an unheated cellar might overlook the consequences: invalidation of manufacturers' warranty, any other guarantee, and freezer-content insurance. These all demand that it be kept where there's a 'normal' ambient temperature.

NB: anyone keeping a deep-freezer outside the house (e.g. in garage/shed) or in an unheated cellar might overlook the consequences: invalidation of manufacturers' warranty, any other guarantee, and freezer-content insurance. These all demand that it be kept where there's a 'normal' ambient temperature.

Usually not a deep freeze, but a fridge freezer, because both units operate on one thermostat situated in the fridge part, so the machine ceases to function when the temperature surrounding the appliance is 5 degrees or below

hi i be happy to quote if you need one ta jeff

Hi

Working as a Building Control Surveyor a Building Regulations application will be required for the new door. It will require a lintel above the new opening, a 30 minute self closing fire door and frame with smoke seals, a minimum step up from the garage to the house of 100mm, and the door will require a u value no greater than 1.8W/m2K. Any competent builder would be able to carry out the work and submit a building notice for the proposals to Building Control.

Regards

Lee

Attollo Building Design

Tel: 0114 2459488

Mobile: 07905442027

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.attollobuildingdesign.co.uk