Insurance for mobile phones

I get insurance from my phone provider. I've never had to claim (yet), but that runs out at £6 per month. Which isn't particularly cheap, but (so I'm told) it's a no quibble straight replacement if it gets damaged accidentally or lost or stolen. But like I said, it remains to be seen, if that's actually what happens!

I get mobile insurance as part of my bank account. I pay a fixed fee per month and that also includes car breakdown cover, holiday insurance and cover for my bank/credit/store cards. This option might be worth considering (if your bank offers it of course) if you have a car and travel a reasonable amount.

Mine is up for renewal with CUSC at £66. To be honest I'm wondering whether to bother as there are so many exclusions.

For example "loss" is only covered if the phone is "concealed on your person" and "not left unattended". Bit difficult to see how you could lose it in those circumstances!

Also "theft" is only covered if force or threat is used. In other words, they don't cover theft at all, only burglary and robbery.

If you claimed within the first year it would cost around £115-140 (premium plus excess) so is that really worth it even for a £500 phone? In other words, is the chance of a valid claim (as opposed to no claim or an excluded claim) greater than c25% - I think probably not.

Edited by Chumley