Parking meters in Sheffield

For weeks I've struggled with new 5p & 10p coins in parking meters in Sheffield. Now I hear that the new coins are bigger than the old ones and won't fit Sheffield's meters. Cost of conversion is apparently £70,000, which Sheffield cannot afford. So the meters will remain unable to take legal tender.

What a brilliant system.

Edited by Uptowngirl

The meters are being upgraded - despite the fact that the council is desperately short of money. I don't know if that's a legal obligation, but it strikes me as a good idea anyway.

The new coins are cheaper to produce than the old ones - the soaring cost of raw metals was reaching the point where it would cost more than five pence to make a five pence piece, so the Government hasn't really been left much choice about changing them. Having to adapt things like parking meters is an unfortunate side effect.

How is it that every other company /firm/ council in the uk as managed to up grade there coin machineray and its only smdc that is having problems

How is it that every other company /firm/ council in the uk as managed to up grade there coin machineray and its only smdc that is having problems
There's probably very few companies/organizations with such a large number of coin-operated machines to upgrade. I guess that's why it may take longer.

I look forward to the new machines which will finally give the motorist change.

What is the world coming too!!!