Doggy Hayfever!

we get atarax for one of our labs who has a dust mite allergy....I wonder if we could use an alternative we can buy from the chemist or Wilkos.......
Think most i listed you can get from chemist.

There are others though.

Have you had a blood test done or you just guessing thats the problem.

second piriton, my dog is allergic to ragwort and meadow grass, bit of a pain when he spends most weekends at the stables.

1 x piriton for him,1 for me (i'm allergic to him and the horses)

If you want to go a cheaper route then any hayfever tablet from Wilkos or superdrug will work.

I don't think its unusual. But I want to know that if he is allergic from the

meadows and grassy planes and 1 x piriton is discussed, Is he not getting

addicted to it. I'm sorry for the silly question but really curious. regards

I don't think its unusual. But I want to know that if he is allergic from the

meadows and grassy planes and 1 x piriton is discussed, Is he not getting

addicted to it. I'm sorry for the silly question but really curious. regards

Sorry.. But what was the question in that sentence?

Can dogs get addicted to piriton, is that the question? If so then no. Dogs cannot. Neither can humans.

If a human claims addiction to piriton, then it is nothing to do with the medication - that person is purely just obsessive.

Piriton or other similar antihistamines with the same ingredients are not addictive ingredients.

I dont know your dogs wieght but its possible to increase dosage depending on its wieght or try Benadryl.

No they wont get addicted as Elizabeth13 has said there not classed as a drug as such.

Suppose you could move to Prednisolone Corticosteroid not sure if you can obtain them though without seeing vet for a scrpt.Would not advise staying on them long term though unless absolutely necessary.And you cant just stop them must be done slowly or should be anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anything else you do for the dust mite allergy?

Do you steam clean any carpets you have, for instance?

Strix, there's not a lot we don;t do........steam clean carpets, hoover regularly, spray with flea spray from vets, she's on atarax, medrone and has auto-immune injections once a month :( she's on a prescription diet (for her tum) so we have to be soooooooooocareful what we feed her . All this manages her allergy but in the summer it tends to get worse whoch I think is pollen related.

Think most i listed you can get from chemist.

There are others though.

Have you had a blood test done or you just guessing thats the problem.

We've had blood tests done hence the injections/medrone/atarax/shampooing with Allermyl etc. Although the tests were conclusive that it was a dust mite allergy she also seems to get worse in the summer.

Our vets have actually run out of Atarax at the mo so they have suggested Piriton :)

Edited by AuntieBiz
added text

We've had blood tests done hence the injections/medrone/atarax/shampooing with Allermyl etc. Although the tests were conclusive that it was a dust mite allergy she also seems to get worse in the summer.

Our vets have actually run out of Atarax at the mo so they have suggested Piriton :)

Well piriton is good if you pay then Chlortrimeton (Chlorpheniramine) is cheaper but the same as with dosage.And they should not cause any issues with her tum.