British Gas problems, please help!

Sorry but I find it very hard to believe a 4-bed semi costs less than £50/month for gas and electric. The current average for a typical (ie 3-bed) home is around £120/month.

We live, two people, we are retired so at home more, in a 3 bed end terrace, open plan over 4 floors, fully insulated, cavity wall, recent loft insulation to meet new regulations, we have gas fired central heating, gas to cook. We use E.On we have dual fuel, pay direct debit, paper free bill, at the moment we pay £67 per month, If you pay as you suggest on average £120 per month, you should test the market, and find a new supplier, you are being shafted.

I just moved in to a 1 bed flat and the gas/elec were provided by BGas. After the frst month I was sent a bill for £60 for my "first months usage". After coming for a 2 bed flat, using triple the usage and paying less I was shocked to see the cost. After many calls I was "assured it was correct" and reluctantly paid it.

I have since received my next bill for 2/3months (I am in the process of switching) and it is now for £150!!

I switch my boiler off now (after the first bill) and it is off from mon - fri 6am-6pm and I tend to switch it off at night. I have no baths and use the shower rarely (choosing to use my parents instead due to worry of my bills). The radiators are one maybe once a week for a timed 2 hour period and then that just leaves my oven which is used a few times a week.

The boiler works as it was checked before I moved in and I have a certificate. I don't know what to do or where I stand. They say they can send an engineer out but if there is no issue I will have to pay but I know it works. There is also a large debt on the previous account which stands with my landlord, I wonder if there adding amounts on to my bill for this (over £400 owed)

Is there anything I can do or anyone I can talk to? Is there someone in Sheffield who can visit my flat and tell me if it's working "eficiantly" or how much certian things cost ie radiators?. I worry also that maybe the upstairs flat may be getting some of my gas/elec as there readings are very low and theres 4 of them?

Sorry to rant I just feel helpless and I know something isn't right!! :-(

Find your gas meter, make sure it's definitely yours (you can do this by putting the boiler on and watching it go round) and switch it off at the emergency control valve. Leave it off. If your neighbour complains then you've been paying his bill too. If it doesn't affect your neighbour's gas supply then you have three other possibilities: gas supplier's prices have gone up massively and you're remembering how much you use wrongly; there's a leak somewhere after the meter (a gas fitter will be able to check for this) or; fairies are sneaking into your flat and playing with gas appliances while you sleep. :)

Edit: also take some readings and compare them to the readings you took when you moved in. BG may be trying it on or you may be paying for the previous occupier's usage.

Edited by Teddybare

Sorry but I find it very hard to believe a 4-bed semi costs less than £50/month for gas and electric. The current average for a typical (ie 3-bed) home is around £120/month.

Crikey I'm paying £200 pm for my 2 bedroom house, my heating is on 3 hours a day. I think I'd better get mine looked into

Crikey I'm paying £200 pm for my 2 bedroom house, my heating is on 3 hours a day. I think I'd better get mine looked into

Definitely on the high side. Have you tried uswitch or one of the other comparison sites?

Has that been running for over a year, to confirm that the monthly DD is set at the correct level?

I am quoting the direct debit instruction from e.on on the 1st of January 2012, as you point out prices change, and could rise in the spring depending on usage but if you are paying £1400 per year in a one bedroom flat you are being shafted, change your supplier or at least do some research.

I am quoting the direct debit instruction from e.on on the 1st of January 2012, as you point out prices change, and could rise in the spring depending on usage but if you are paying £1400 per year in a one bedroom flat you are being shafted, change your supplier or at least do some research.

Your estimate does seem rather low although I understand that you are well insulated though. I would take regular readings and give them to E-on because you may well get shafted at year end.

That does sound alot. I have a 2 bed house, with a combi boiler/gas oven and I pay £40 a month. Ive sent in my meter readings, and to date, after the winter Im only about £20 in debit to n power.

I'd think about switching

That does sound alot. I have a 2 bed house, with a combi boiler/gas oven and I pay £40 a month. Ive sent in my meter readings, and to date, after the winter Im only about £20 in debit to n power.

I'd think about switching

I'm with Eon & really worried now in definately paying more then most, my gas oven is very rarely used as I tend to use my halogen oven to cook things, I only usually have the heating on a hour in the morning & two hours in the evening & my gas fire well that's more decoration & now I don't have my heating on at all just turn my combo boiler on when I want hot water