Mexican takeaway in Sheffield Centre

We've had a few Burritos from this 'street food' outlet at work, and the general consensus is 'disappointing'. The taste & flavour are definitely there, but they are REALLY tight on the amount of meat. For a fiver you expect a decent helping, but instead it's mainly rice.

It's a shame, because it's a great idea & Sheffield really needs more of these type of lunch options.

They're just about to open a second shop (with seating) on Arundel Street.

Edited by holster100

I'd say I'm quite a frequent customer of Street Food Chef and have been going since they started. I have to say they've changed quite a lot and not for the better. I believe the man and woman who started it up used to actually prepare the burritos in front of you, Subway style. They were SO polite and helpful, as were the two or three people who assisted them, especially when my partner ordered, as he has anxiety about asking for things.

Lately though I've noticed they've gotten less personal and the original staff don't seem to be there now. The burritos are still good (and now beef seems to be a permanent menu item!) but the whole experience isn't the same anymore. I've always gotten my burritos without rice (as I don't like it) and the woman that served me the other day gave me one with rice and I have to say, it was STUFFED with it, much more than anything else. I actually had to throw some of it away, which I hate doing. The worst part is how they don't prepare the food in front of you anymore, it's all done behind a counter and you can't see what they're putting on it, sadly.

Now I know there are other Mexican places in Sheffield, I'm going to try them instead.

Also, yes I did notice your loyalty card went from offering a free burrito for every 6 bought, to the current one which is like 50% off a breakfast burrito...ridiculous. :(

Today I have mostly been eating Chicken Fajitas from Pirates Pasties and all I can say is

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :):D:cool::P

• 2 weeks later...

We are really sorry to hear that you have had a disappointing experience from us, and will use the comments posted on here to improve what we offer. We make over 100 burritos a day, each one is made with fresh ingredients - if we make a mistake on your order please let us know and we will replace it or refund it without question. We are always looking to improve our food AND make sure the experience is a positive one- and will pay attention to these comment - come down and try us again!

The 50% loyalty card can now be used on any of our regular burritos too.

Abi and Richard, Street Food Chef

Good to see the owner / manager respond to feedback. If the feedback is not unreasonable, then I'm sure that action can be taken to improve things for the specific items people have mentioned above.

I have been here twice. The first time I bought a rather large burrito for my girlfriend (she told me it wasn't hot / spicy enough for what she'd expected / wanted, but said it was tasty). I bought myself one some time later, although I enjoyed it - I did realise there was a lot of rice and I didn't really know if that was normal or skimping. It felt like I'd not got a brilliant deal to be honest.

It seems the biggest issue is with [the perception of] skimping on meat and stuffing with rice. That will be, obviously, all down to the profit margins, but there might be a happy medium to strike for.

What would be good to know, before I go again, is whether Street Food Chef think this is a reasonable observation, or whether the rice level is right for the product(s) in question.

I reckon SFC is way better than Amigos...been loads of times and never been disappointed. I found Amigos to be rather bland...

I even walked to their new cantina from work today (3 mile round trip) just for a pulled pork burrito...mmm

I think one of the owners is down there most of the time as they are obviously having to get new staff up to speed and he was very keen to ask us for feedback when we went in last week.

He certainly seemed to care that we had enjoyed our food.

I think you have to realise that as a business grows , the owners are not always going to be there to make your burrito for you...what counts is their input in transferring their work ethics onto their staff and training them correctly- from what I have seen they are doing a great job with this.

After all , you wouldn't expect Gordon Ramsay in the kitchen these days would you?...but he still gets the 3 michelin stars to his name.

Thanks for your comments guys. We REALLY do care about the food and the experience of the customers.

When we opened the new shop a couple of weeks ago, we made some changes to the rice/meat ratio in the large burritos, (we eat burritos every day, because we like them and to keep an eye on quality) and it seems that the comments on the forum are related to the large ones. We will now implement the same changes at Pinstone too. Of course we have to make sure our profit margin works, but the overall taste is the most important thing. (and of course, your point about customer perception is really relevant)

Please do talk to us about any of this - our passion is to provide great customer service as well as great food - and we never stop striving to achieve this.