Orange Star Apr 2012

Ok so I'm wondering if there are some amatuer or professional astromoners on SF that can identify an orange star for me.

I can usually see it on a clear night around 9-10pm at around 100°-110° on the horizontal horizon (can't be entirely accurate as I've only got my phone's compass as a guide)

Is it The Red Eye of the Bull? Alpha Tau, called Aldebaran, it's between Orion and the Pleiades. (looking South)

I'm presuming it's not Mars. :)

Which direction are you looking? I should have asked you that first. Betelgeuse is organgey too, also in Orion.

Edited by rubydazzler

Ok so I'm wondering if there are some amatuer or professional astromoners on SF that can identify an orange star for me.

I can usually see it on a clear night around 9-10pm at around 100°-110° on the horizontal horizon (can't be entirely accurate as I've only got my phone's compass as a guide)

Do you think it could be Mars? Download Google Sky Map onto your phone..that'll help you possibly..

Don't think Resident cares anymore ... :)

Thread just slipped my mind, been a little busy over last few days.

110° is E-SE

It's the right colour for Mars but Stellarium doesn't show it.

I have found references to Venus being visible recently but the co-ords for that according to Stellarium are in the opposite direction.

Unable to try the Google app tonight as it's pouring down.

Thread just slipped my mind, been a little busy over last few days.

110° is E-SE

It's the right colour for Mars but Stellarium doesn't show it.

I have found references to Venus being visible recently but the co-ords for that according to Stellarium are in the opposite direction.

Unable to try the Google app tonight as it's pouring down.

Venus is usually a very bright white..not orange..