Sun protection for my dog..

angel22

Hi.

This might seem like a silly question but it's not something i've ever had to think about before......

I have a white Staffy and her coat isn't very thick so in some parts, her pink skin is visible, particularly on her nose. I know i need to use some sun block to prevent her pink bits getting burnt but the question is- which?! Do pet shops sell sun block specifically for dogs or do i just use normal sun block like the one i'd use on myself??

I don't want to use anything thats going to irritate her skin so if anyone has any advice or recommendations, i'd be very grateful.

The thing you are looking for (as the owner of white cats I have researched this) is a product called Petscreen.

Linky to a Petremedies page, but is available all over the place.

SPF23, a clear spray that is easy to apply and doesn't clog up the fur or attract muck half as badly as most of the human ones you could use. Many vets will suggest just using a baby sunscreen, but they clog up the fur dreadfully.

You shouldn't need to cover the whole dog, just the sparse bits on the bridge of her nose and her ears should be fine.

If her ears are coloured then she may not need sunscreen on them because the skin underneath the fur is likely to be pigmented too, so it isn't likely to burn on exposure to the sun. It's the fragile pink skin that's the most at risk.

Sadly I've seen many cats over the years at the Shelter who have either had to be put to sleep because of skin cancer which has taken in their ear canals or their whole nasal area ans sinuses or who have had to have their ear flaps taken off in order to prevent pre-cancerous changes becoming dangerous. My own Arthur (who was pure white) had the start of tumours in his ear tips for the last couple of years of his life and I had been very diligent with the sunscreen so obviously the damage was done in the first 10 years of his life, before I adopted him.

Prevention is the key, and a bottle of sunscreen which will last you most of a summer for £11 really makes it easy to do the best for her :)

I've just had a good look at her ears. They're white with black spots. The white bits have pink skin showing beneath so i think it's probably best if i do put a bit of sunscreen on them.

It's such a shame that so many are put to sleep because of people's carelessness.

I've just had a good look at her ears. They're white with black spots. The white bits have pink skin showing beneath so i think it's probably best if i do put a bit of sunscreen on them.

It's such a shame that so many are put to sleep because of people's carelessness.

It is and also sad that there's a demand for pure white cats, dogs etc in the first place :(

Some people just think they look nice and have no idea of the problems it can cause.

Archived